Students should balance their individual research/creative projects for the semester
with the core material and readings.
- Sept 6: Introductory lecture on course objectives. Intro to the web site.
Read Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Discussion of monsters.
DEATH. In-class writing on various aspects of death, improvise scenes to
analyse body language, poems and ideokinetic imagery to meditate on the end of the
Body. Color yourself in the Anatomy Coloring Book.
List your own personal objectives for the course, begin a journal and dream diary, and organize your portfolio to which you will add one entry per week in chronological order. Start reading Nonverbal Behavior in Interpersonal Relations.
- Sept. 13: Read Patrick Suskind's Perfume. Write a paper on
Read Chapters inThe Psychology of Language and Communication.
Don't forget to put at least one entry per week in your myfolio.
- Sept.20: Read The Natural History of Love.
Discussion of needs, flaws and nonverbal communication in terms of love.
- Sept.27:Submit biographies. Multidisciplinary approach to character.
- Read The Psychology of Language and Communication and write about
how the body changes and adapts to different spaces and time schedules
and how this affects communication, body language, cross-cultural awareness etc.
- October 4: Read Descartes' Error.
- October 11: Analysis of dramatic and therapeutic scenes.
In addition to your regular weekly entries, prepare a proposal for your final project.
Surf the whole Language and the Body web site for research ideas.
- October 18: Discussion of final projects. Individual conferences.
- October 25: Lecture on nonverbal communication for midterm.
- November 1: Midterm Exam on nonverbal communication, all the books on the
reading list, the web site and your personal projects.
- November 8 Class presentations.
- November 15: Class presentations.
- November 22: Class presentations. Instruction in html and web site demos.
- December 6: Bring rough versions of webfolios.
- December 13: Presentation of WEBfolios in the computer lab.
- December 20: Presentation of MYfolios