Built as a summer chapel for Trinity Church, this austere Federal Style building is the third oldest Church in New York (after St. Paul's Chapel and St. Mark's-in-the-Bowery Church). Before the island was widened by landfill, the church stood at the edge of the Hudson River surrounded by farms, streams and shaded country lanes. It was often accessed by boat in the days when the Village flourished as a country retreat for Manhattanites whose winter abodes were located further to the south. Its modest architectural expression reflects its function as a country chapel. Damaged by several fires, St. Luke-in-the-Fields was most recently reconstructed in 1985.

<---back

Church of St. Luke-in-the-Fields
485 Hudson St., builder: James N. Wells [1821]