Based on southern Italian models, this Catholic church was established in 1892 to serve a congregation composed chiefly of Italian immigrants. The current edifice stands on the site of an earlier Abyssinian Baptist church, erected for freed African slaves who had lived in the area around Minetta Lane since the 1830s.

<---back

Our Lady of Pompeii Church
corner of Bleeker and Carmine Street [1928]