This is the only survivor of a group of three men's hotels built by Mills in New York City. Built as a hostel for poor gentlemen, this block-wide building contained 1,500 tiny rooms available at affordable rates. The hotel was closed during the day to encourage its residents to seek work. The hotel was built in accordance with the 1879 Tenement House Law known as the 'Old Law.' With two 60-square foot airshafts penetrating a structure that occupies four city lots, this building exemplifies Flagg's main proposals for changes in the zoning laws. A major lobbyist for housing reform, Flagg might have been inspired by the layout of the Dakota [1884], or by the apartment buildings he had seen in Paris during his studies abroad.

<---back

Mills Hotel
160 Bleecker Street, Ernest Flagg, architect; Darius Ogden Mills, developer [1896]