Johnson and Foster's granite-clad building matches the townhouse scale of the Square but its abstract facade is incongruous with the traditional architecture around it. In keeping with its academic and research functions, the Center's ground floor houses a reconstruction of a 1797 house from Damascus, Syria.

<---back

Hagop Kervorkian Center for Near Eastern Studies
Washington Square South, Philip Johnson & Richard Foster [1970-72]