6 St. Luke's Place
#6 St. Luke's Place [1851-4]

West of 7th Avenue, Leroy Street bends and its name changes to St. Luke's Place. The atmosphere changes, as one leaves a modest working-class district to enter an area once inhabited by upwardly mobile working- and middle-class Irish immigrants. Originally the northernmost boundary of Trinity Church's estate, this block is graced by brick and brownstone Greek and Renaissance Revival row houses. This building once served as the residence of the Mayor of New York (including James Walker) and it was marked by a pair of lanterns to symbolize the political importance of its residents. The house has the arched entry and pediment-topped windows that are characteristic of mid-century Renaissance Revival row houses. Respected as a fair and effective mayor during his first term, Walker was forced to resign in disgrace in 1932 due to a scandal that plagued his second term.

<---back