Merchants' Exchange (now Regent Wall Street Hotel)
55 Wall Street, Isaiah Rogers (three stories, 1836-42), McKim, Mead and White (addition, 1907)

When the Merchants' Exchange burned down in the great fire of 1835, the Boston architect Isaiah Rogers, was called down to create a bigger and better exchange, with a columned, blue granite facade. Although the Exchange failed at mid-century, the empty building was a logical home for the expanding customs collection for the port of New York. The Merchants' Exchange became the Customs House until 1907, when a company (today Regent Wall Street Hotel) purchased it and asked the architectural firm of McKim, Meade and White to double the building for their new headquarters. It is now waiting to become part of a rejuvenated Wall Street.

<---back