The Studio Building


44 West 77th Street, Harde and Short [1909]

Located across from the Museum of Natural History, the facade of this apartment building is a fantasy of Gothic themes, although a 1944 renovation removed much of the terra-cotta ornament. Large windows on the upper floor and the high ceilings identify this as a studio building containing apartments for artists in dire need of affordable housing and work space. Many similar structures were built during the first decade of the 20th century following the model established by the landscape painter Henry Ranger.

<---back