Museum of Natural History,
Central Park West between 77th and 81st Streets, Calvert Vaux and Jacob Mould [1872-7]; Cady, Berg and See [1892-8]; Charles Volz [1908]; Trowbridge and Livingston [1924, 1926 and 1933] and John Russell Pope [1936]

The creation of this museum corresponded to an increasing interest in ethnographic collections as well as museums in Europe. Located on city land at a site once known as Manhattan Square this complex agglomeration of 22 structures is the result of numerous building campaigns.

Calvert Vaux and Jacob Mould developed a general plan for the museum and built its first wing in the Victorian High Gothic style at 79th Street and Columbus Avenue. Vaux and Mould's original plan would have made the museum the largest building on the continent. Although this never came to pass, the museum benefitted from the Robber Barrons, who made huge bequests in the 1880s, allowing the museum to expand along with the growth of the Upper West Side.

Cady, Berg and See contributed a Romanesque Revival style addition on 77th Street. With its massive facade of pink Vermont granite, low arched windows, idiosyncratic turrets, huge carriage entrance and grand sweeping staircase, this building monumentalizes the institution that it contains. Charles Volz added a power plant on Columbus Avenue, while Trowbridge and Livingston added more exhibit space and John Russell Pope designed the Beaux-Arts style Theodore Roosevelt Memorial Wing on Central Park West.

<---back