New York Historical Society
170 Central Park West, York and Sawyer [1908] and Walker and Gillette [1938]

As a home for the oldest museum foundation in New York (founded in 1804), this Beaux Arts edifice replaced the museum's second headquarters on East 11th Street. The Society houses an important collection of prints, books, manuscripts, paintings and decorative arts. The museum's simple but monumental facade is graced by a colonnade which recalls the temples of ancient Rome. With wings added to the northern and southern ends of the structure in 1938, this became one of the last examples of the Beaux Arts style in New York.

<---back