The Apthorp
2111 Broadway, Clinton and Russell [1906-8]

Named for Charles Ward Apthorp whose 18th century estate once existed near the site, this building reflects the prosperity of the Upper West Side from the 1890s until 1915. Built on land acquired by William Waldorf Astor in 1879, this speculative residential building benefitted from its association with the Astor name. Recalling a Renaissance palazzo in its outward appearance, this full-block luxury apartment building consists of flats organized around a private central court following the example of the Dakota.

[detail1]

<---back