Built as a warehouse and showroom for the silk merchant James Fischer in
1882, in 1883,
a three-bay addition was added to the original six-bay structure.
This was easy to do, as the original cast iron elements could be readily
reproduced, creating the illusion of a unified whole. The only
conspicuous sign of the later addition is the off-center pediment at the
top. A foundry plaque identifies this Greek Revival/Neo Grec cast-iron
as the work of the firm Lindsay, Graff & Megquier.