An early commercial denizen of the area, this five-story building was completed just as cast-iron facades and window shopping were becoming fashionable. This was due to the fact that the use of cast-iron allowed for large expanses of ground floor windows. Fourteen foot tall "sperm candle columns"--so named because their attenuated form resembles sperm whale oil candles--flank the upper window bays. The thin hollow columns are an elegant, impressive feature and their iron casting was a technical tour-de-force. They complement the building's decorative program which includes an ornamental cornice and articulated keystones. The building now houses the Canal Jean Company.

<---back

502 Broadway Building
502 Broadway, John Kellum & Son [1860]