Built by the architect who designed 8 Greene Street, this
building has a cast-iron facade that is adorned with columns rendered in
the heavy, unadorned
Tuscan order. Like others in the area, this facade is partly obscured by
fire escapes--these were added after a 1915 New York City regulation
was instituted in the aftermath of fatal loft fires like the one at the
Triangle Shirtwaist Factory in 1911.