South Street Seaport
Benjamin Thompson (architect), Rouse & Company (developer) (1980s)

As commerce moved north and west during the mid-19th century, the city's first seaport was transformed into a food supply center (the Fulton Fish Market opened in 1835). From the late 19th century through the mid 20th century, the area was largely abandoned, surviving only as a wholesale fish district and yachting dock. In the 1960s interest in the seaport was revived as the building industry returned to lower Manhattan. After a twenty-year debate over the future of the area, Thompson and Rouse & Company redeveloped the seaport according to a formula used at Boston's Quincy Market and Baltimore's Harbor Place. Today a tourist attraction filled with middle and high-end retail and restaurants, South Street Seaport exemplifies one way in which New York has addressed the preservation of historic architectural and urban spaces.

Go to the official South Street Seaport homepage

Go to a really touristy site about the Seaport with lots of pictures and fake wood: NYCtourist.com

<---back