Built on the site of the Etienne de Lancey estate (1719), the current is a
20th century recreation of a historical building.
Purchased by Samuel Fraunces in 1762, the de Lancey residence became the
"Queen's Head" Tavern -- a fashionable center of 18th century New
York life, and site of many important events in the early history of the
Today the building contains a restaurant and meeting rooms. Mersereau's reconstruction (following the fire of 1900) is a conjectural rebuilding of the original Fraunces Tavern, in other words, it is a 20th century interpretation of the general characteristics of Georgian Style architecture.