As required by contract, this church was built to replace the 1870's
Gothic Revival church razed during the construction of the Citicorp
building. An abstract tent-like structure, the church design echoes the
geometry of the adjacent skyscraper. Its granite-clad steel exterior
shelters an airy skylit interior
containing elements of Gothic form adorned with the work of modern
sculptors such as Louise Nevelson.
Home to a small congregation with important ties to the jazz community,
the modest church is dwarfed, both literally and figuratively, by its
mammoth corporate neighbor.