This urban park was created in 1870 on the site of a former swamp
and a burial ground. Named after James Madison, the park was
bordered by two of Stanford White's major buildings: the second
Madison Square Garden  and a Presbyterian Church [1906-16].
It was located next to three insurance companies who had moved their
headquarters from the area around City Hall.