While the stores along Sixth Avenue served the middle-class and
working-class commuters who used the 'El,' the Fifth Avenue section
of Ladies' Mile catered to the
wealthier clientele of the "carriage trade."
Samuel Lord and George Taylor were two English immigrants who together
built one of the most respected fashion establishments along the more
upscale avenue of Ladies' Mile. Speculating that the retail district
would expand east, they built their third department store at
corner of 20th Street. In 1914, the store moved for a final time to
38th Street and Fifth Avenue.|
Built in the French Second Empire style at the height of its popularity in the United States, this lavishly ornamented cast-iron building is endowed with a striking corner pavilion capped by a tall mansard roof.