At a time when other developers shunned the area east of the Third Avenue El, the Daily News selected this site so that it could house its noisy printing presses in the same facility as its editorial offices. Designed by Raymond Hood, the building contained the newspaper's offices and speculative office space in a tower set back above a 10-story base with larger floors to accommodate the presses. Its facade features a 3-story granite slab above the entrance that is decorated with an image of office workers underneath a sunburst motif illuminating the News Building rising above. Art Deco features of the exterior facade include the use of polychrome brick and red and black spandrels between the windows. The bold verticality of the tower, the repetitive windows, and the flat, bare facade are early characteristics of the International Style that would gain popularity in New York after World War II. The costly building was constructed when the Daily News had the largest circulation of any newspaper in the United States. A large, revolving globe, set against a backdrop of black glass and aluminum in the center of the lobby, symbolized the paper's global perspective and quickly became a tourist attraction. An addition designed by Harrison and Abramowitz was added to the east side of the tower in 1958.

<---back

Daily News Building
220 East 42nd Street, Howells & Hood [1930]; Addition by Harrison & Abramowitz [1958]