Walk 6: East Village

This walk traces the transformation of the are from the city's premier residential district to the home of New York's textile and publishing industry. In the early 1830s, red brick row houses stretched north of Soho between Second Avenue and Washington Square. These row houses were soon joined by the ambitious ecclesiastical institutions of the city. The city's mercantile gentry moved east from Greenwich Street making this district the prime residential area from the 1830s through the Civil War. By the second half of the 19th century, Fifth Avenue had become the premier address of the upwardly mobile. First publishers and then textile firms moved into the area vacated by its wealthy residents and replaced the row houses with practical buildings which are greatly admired to this day.

Old Merchant's House, 29 East 4th Street, design attributed to Minard Lafever; builder, Joseph Brewster [1832]
Colonnade Row, 428-34 Lafayette Street, design attributed to Alexander Jackson Davis; builder, Seth Geer [1833]
Astor Library, 425 Lafayette Street, South wing, Alexander Saeltzer [1853]; Center section, Griffith Thomas [1859]; North wing, Thomas Stent [1881]
Grace Church, 800-804 Broadway, James Renwick Jr. [1846]
Cooper Union Foundation Building, Cooper Square, Frederick Peterson [1859]
DeVinne Press, 393-99 Lafayette Street, Babb, Cook, Willard [1885]
376 Lafayette Street Loft Building, plans by Henry Hardenbergh [1888]
NYC Fire Department Engine Company #33, 44 Great Jones Street, Ernst Flagg & W.B. Chambers [1898]
Appleton Century Croft Building, 1 Bond Street, Stephen Hatch [1880]
Puck Building, 295-309 Lafayette Street, Albert Wagner [North portion 1885, South addition 1893]
Bayard-Condict Building, 65 Bleecker Street, Louis Sullivan [1898]

Related links:
-Lower East Side Tenement Museum

The Walks: [Lower Manhattan] [Seaport] [Wall Street] [City Hall] [Soho] [East Village] [West Village] [Ladies Mile] [Upper West Side] [Morningside] [Grand Central] [Park Ave.] [Rockefeller Center] [Home]