A parish chapel of Trinity Church, built on land granted by
Queen Anne, this is the oldest church in Manhattan to be in continuous use
its construction. Built of Manhattan fieldstone with brownstone accents,
St. Paul's has the classical portico, boxy proportions and domestic
details that are characteristic of Georgian churches such as James Gibbs'
St. Martin-in-the-Fields, after
which it was
octagonal tower rises from a square base and is topped by a replica of the
Choragic Monument of Lysicrates (circa 335 BC).
Inside, the chapel's simple elegant hall has the pale colors, flat ceiling and cut glass chandeliers reminiscent of contemporary domestic interiors. In contrast to the awe-inspiring interior of Trinity Church, this hall and its ample gallery were endowed with a cozy and comfortable character in order to encourage attendance.
The chapel contains several monuments and memorials that attest to its elevated status in early New York: a monument to Richard Montgomery (hero of the battle of Quebec) sculpted by Jean-Jacques Caffieri (1777), George Washington's original pew and a neo-Baroque sculpture called "Glory" designed by Pierre L'Enfant.
Broadway Between Fulton and Vesey Streets, architect believed to be Thomas McBean (1764-66). Later additions by James C. Lawrence (1780s, 1790s)