Newspaper Row
Park Row (1840s until the turn-of-the-century) in the mid-19th century cast iron fronted phase.

From the 1840s through the turn-of-the-century, newspaper publishers located their headquarters near City Hall at the heart of New York's political and civic life. Concentrated around the city's growing municipal center these buildings were, by the 1890s, New York's tallest commercial structures. Among the surviving structures that date back to the heyday of Newspaper Row are George B. Post's New York Times Building (1899) at 41 Park Row, and the Potter Building (1883) at 38 Park Row which contained the headquarters of the New York Press.

<---back