Immigration Center, Ellis Island
Boring & Tilton (1900)

Successor to the immigration depot at Castle Clinton, the main reception building on Ellis Island was the point of entry for 16 million immigrants between 1892 and 1924. By the time the structure was closed in 1954, the island was ten times its original size (thanks to landfill) and 33 outbuildings had been added to the complex. The Immigration Center is in the upper right portion of the island in the photograph.

The above view of Ellis Island was found at the web site of the University of California at Riverside, from the Keystone-Mast Collection, California Museum of Photography. Click here to see more historic images of Ellis Island at this web site.

<---back