Bowling Green Park
Bowling Green Park in a photograph circa 1890
A parade ground and cattle market in the 17th and early 18th centuries, Bowling Green became a quasi-public park (New York City's first) in 1733. Its small scale gives the visitor a sense of the modest size of the early settlement of New Amsterdam. In July 1776, after a public reading of the Declaration of Independence, patriots toppled the statue of King George III that was located in the park. During the early nineteenth century, the park was largely the private domain of residents who lived in elegant townhouses around Bowling Green.
<---back