Performance Studies Isssues and Methods
H42.2617 Fall 2000
Department of Performance Studies, New York University
- Agar, Michael. 1996. The professional stranger an informal introduction
to ethnography. 2nd ed. San Diego: Academic Press.
- Alford, Robert R. 1998. The craft of inquiry. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Allsopp, Ric, Scott deLahunta, Amsterdamse Hogeschool voor de Kunsten, Writing Research Associates, and School voor Nieuwe Dansontwikkeling (Amsterdam, Netherlands). 1996. The connected body? an interdisciplinary approach to the body and performance. Amsterdam Readings on the Arts and Arts Education =: Amsterdamse Schriften Over Kunst En Kunstonderwijs: Amsterdam Readings on the Arts and Arts Education. Amsterdam: Amsterdam School of the Arts.
- Amit-Talai, Vered. 2000. Constructing the field ethnographic fieldwork in the contemporary world. London, New York: Routledge.
- Barz, Gregory F., and Timothy J. Cooley, eds. 1997. Shadows in the Field: New Perspectives for Fieldwork in Ethnomusicology. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Becker, Howard S. 1986. Writing for Social Scientists: How to Start and Finish Your Thesis, Book, or Article. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Behar, Ruth, and Deborah A Gordon. 1995. Women writing culture. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Booth, Wayne C., Gregory G. Colomb, and Joseph M. Williams. 1995. The Craft of Research. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Briggs, Charles L. 1986. Learning how to ask a sociolinguistic appraisal of the role of the interview in social science research. Studies in the Social and Cultural Foundations of Language, no. 1. Cambridge England, New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Brown, Nicholas, and Imre Szeman, eds. 2000. Pierre Bourdieu: fieldwork in culture. Lanham, Maryland: Rowman and Littlefield.
- Bruner, Edward M, and Victor Witter Turner. 1986. The Anthropology of experience. Urbana: University of Illinois Press.
- Clifford, James, and George E. Marcus, eds. 1986. Writing Culture: The Poetics and Politics of Ethnography. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Davies, Charlotte Aull. 1999. Reflexive ethnography a guide to researching selves and others. London, New York: Routledge.
- Denzin, Norman K. 1997. Interpretive ethnography ethnographic practices for the 21st century. Thousand Oaks, Calif: Sage Publications.
- Dunaway, David King, Willa K Baum, American Association for State and Local
History, and Oral History Association. 1996. Oral history an interdisciplinary
anthology. 2nd ed. American Association for State and Local History Book
Series. Walnut Creek: AltaMira Press.
- Emerson, Robert M., Rachel I. Fretz, and Linda L. Shaw. 1995. Writing ethnographic fieldnotes. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Felman, Shoshana, and Dori Laub. 1991. Testimony crises of witnessing in literature, psychoanalysis, and history. New York: Routledge.
- Finnegan, Ruth. 1992. Oral Traditions and the Verbal Arts: A Guide to Research Practices. New York: Routledge.
- Foster, Susan Leigh. 1995. Choreographing history. Unnatural Acts. Bloomington: University of Indiana Press.
- Frisch, Michael. 1990. A shared authority essays on the craft and meaning of oral and public history. SUNY Series in Oral and Public History. Albany: State University of New York Press.
- Gluck, Sherna Berger, and Daphne Patai, eds. 1991. Women's words: The feminist practice of oral history. New York: Routledge.
- Goffman, Erving. 1974. Frame analysis: An essay on the organization of experience. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Grele, Ronald J. et al. 1985. Envelopes of sound: The art of oral history. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Jackson, Bruce. 1987. Fieldwork. Urbana: University of Illinois Press.
- Jackson, Michael. 1989. Paths Toward a Clearing: Radical Empiricism and Ethnographic Inquiry. Bloomington: Indiana University Press.
- Jones, Steve. 1999. Doing Internet research critical issues and methods for examining the Net. Thousand Oaks, Calif: Sage Publications.
- Kondo, Dorinne K. 1990. Crafting selves power, gender, and discourses of identity in a Japanese workplace. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Kulick, Don, and Margaret Willson. 1995. Taboo sex, identity, and erotic subjectivity in anthropological fieldwork. New York: Routlege.
- Maanen, John Van. 1988. Tales of the Field: On Writing Ethnography. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Markham, Annette N. 1998. Life online researching real experience in virtual space. Ethnographic Alternatives Book Series, v. 6. Walnut Creek, CA: Altamira Press.
- McMahan, Eva M, and Kim Lacy Rogers. 1994. Interactive oral history interviewing. LEA's Communication Series. Hillsdale, N.J: Erlbaum Associates.
- Morris, Gay. 1996. Moving words re-writing dance. London, New York: Routledge.
- Ritchie, Donald. 1995. Conducting interviews. Doing oral history.
New York: Twayne.
- Sanjek, Roger. 1990. Fieldnotes the makings of anthropology. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.
- Slim, Hugo, Paul Richard Thomson, Olivia Bennett, and Nigel Cross. 1995. Listening for a change oral testimony and community development. Philadelphia, PA: New Society Publishers.
- Smith, Linda Tuhiwau. 1999. Decolonizing methodologies: research and indigenous peoples. New York: Zed Book.
- Stoller, Paul. 1989. The taste of ethnographic things the senses in anthropology. University of Pennsylvania Press Contemporary Ethnography Series. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press.
- Thompson, Paul. 1988. The Voice of the Past: Oral History. 2nd ed. Oxford, England: Oxford University Press.
- Turabian, Kate L. 1987. A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses, and Dissertations. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Turino, Thomas. 1990. Structure, event and process in musical ethnography. Ethnomusicology 34, no. 3.
- University of Chicago Press. 1992. The Chicago manual of style: For authors, editors, and copywriters. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Zinsser, William. 1998. On writing well. New York: HarperCollins.