April 01, 2006
Dinner in Amy's honor
Spring is in the air. I know it mainly by the light and the gently rising temperature. I've been working like mad, just got Mayer's book manuscript into the publisher, now developing the exhibition of his work, teaching, writing, and organizing events, everything coming at once as the semester races to a close. So, thinking about food at a time like this is pure bliss, a little respite and reward. Amy talks on Friday and we'll have an informal dinner in her honor that evening.
Here is what I am planning:
- green favas, with my own salted lemons, lots of fresh lemon juice, chopped fresh dill and scallions, and tiny shreds of red radish in a little pile on top
- red onions roasted with dried cranberries, olive oil, and balsamic, plus Turkish bay leaves (very aromatic)
- cauliflower, roasted coarse salt and pepper and dark green olive oil (Sicilian)
- tofu skin rolls (from Chinatown), or
- spicy tofu sticks: I have little knots of fried tofu sticks and am eager to try them out. I wen with the rolls from Chinatown, as I did not have time to prepare the knots. Will do that next time.
- Chinese marbled tea eggs
- Yukon gold potatoes, oven roasted with drak green Sicilian olive oil and lots of garlic
- black longevity rice
- Moroccan raw carrot salad. Need to adjust recipe. Not quite happy with the flavors (cinnamon and cumin), but love the fresh mint.
- Persian spinach and black eye peas (ghormeh sabzi). This was fab. There are many recipes (just leave out the meat) and my preference is for those with lots of different greens and black eye peas. Very nice to mix the leftovers with rice the next day. The greens include spinach, parsley, coriander, fenugreek (if fresh not available, use dry), dill, garlic chives, leeks or scallions.
Will figure out dessert when I shopping with my little red cart in Chinatown. Max was not here, so I skipped dessert. He would never have allowed that.
Posted by BKG at April 1, 2006 04:02 PM
Post a comment
Thanks for signing in, . Now you can comment. (sign out)(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)