October 15, 2005
Winter in the kitchen
While winter is not yet here, the weather has turned. A week of steady rain and cooler temperatures--and school well into its second month and approaching midterm--mark the onset of what winter is for me. The sign above all is the kitchen. A trip to Integral Yoga for sourdough supplies, chiefly rye flour, and staples of our at home diet. That means:
- Chili: little red beans, tvp (can't they come up with a better name?), tomatoes, cumin, corn, green peppers, onion, garlic, carrots, oregano, New Mexican and chipotle chili roasted in a cast iron pan and ground to a powder.
- Moroccan red lentil soup: a variation on a Food Network recipe and great favorite.
- Sprouts: chick peas, mung beans, white and red wheat berries (some went into the lentil soup, some into the bread, some will become hot breakfast cereal).
- Sourdough bread: I revived starter that was sitting at the back of the fridge all summer. It revived beautifully, nice and bubbly. Will report on this loaf once the starter is ready for me to make the dough.
- Smoothie: I've been starting the day with a smoothie made as follows. Whir in the blender 1 c spring water, 2 tbsp pure unsweetened cranberry juice concentrate, 1 tbsp organic flax oil, 1 tbsp ground flax, 1 tbsp whey powder, 1/4 c cranberries, 1 c blueberries.
Posted by BKG at October 15, 2005 04:01 PM
Post a comment
Thanks for signing in, . Now you can comment. (sign out)(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)