May 17, 2005
Khichdi with stuffed vegetables
2 cups Basmamati Rice
1 cup yellow mung dal
6 baby potatoes
6 baby brinjals
6 small onions (optional)
1 tsp Turmeric Powder
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp Ghee
4-5 cups of water
To be mixed for the sambharia:
1 cup besan
1 tsp green chilli paste
1/2 tsp ginger paste
1/2 cup grated coconut
1/2 cup finely chopped corriander leaves
juice of 1/2 lemon
4 tsps sugar
salt to taste
3 tbsp oil
1) Wash the potatoes,brinjals well then make slits on the potatoes in a cross shape take care not to cut all the way.
2) Do the same with the brinjals but leave the stalk intact.
3) If you are using onions peel the outer sking and make cross slits to the onions also.
4) Stuff the sambharia masala into the slits made in the brinjals, potatoes, and onions and keep aside.
5) Wash the rice and dal till water runs clear and soak for 5 mins
6) Heat Ghee in a heavy bottomed vessel add rice, dal, turmeric powder and 3 cups of water.
7) Bring to a boil on high fire.
8) Then turn to simmer and add the potatoes, brinjals, and onions.
9) Let it cook on slow flame till done, do not mix, just keep an eye on the water level and keep on adding water till dal and rice are cooked. Check if the potatoes are done by inserting a knife or skewer.
10) Serve hot with plain curds and papad.
Posted by BKG at May 17, 2005 10:10 AM
Post a comment
Thanks for signing in, . Now you can comment. (sign out)(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)