Skip to Navigation | Skip to Content

Loans – Request to Return Loan Funds

If you would like the University to return loan funds that have been disbursed to us, or for which you have received a refund check, please complete a Request to Return Loan Funds form from the link below. Please attach the refund check and send the "Request to Return Loan Funds" Form to:

New York University
Office of the Bursar
105 East 17th street, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10003
ATTN: Refund Department

If you have not received a refund check, you may either mail the form or fax it to (212) 998-2817. 

NOTE: New York University can only return Federal Direct Loan funds if the disbursement date
(the date the funds post on your account) has not exceeded 120 days. Please round the amount you would like to return to the lender to the nearest dollar. *Please allow 5 business days for processing.

If you wish to cancel all or part of any disbursement of your loan more than 120 days after it was disbursed, you are actually repaying part of your loan and you must pay any accrued interest and/or fees. You may make a payment directly to your federal loan servicer.

Borrowers are assigned to one of the five servicers by the U.S. Department of Education, which include ACS, Great Lakes, NelNet, PHEAA, and Sallie Mae. If you are not sure which of the five centers is your assigned servicer, visit and log into the federal government’s National Student Loan Data System to determine your servicer. You may also call 1-800-4-FED-AID to locate your servicer.