Living in NYU Berlin Housing is a Mandatory Part of Program Enrollment
Single Studio Apartments
Additional Housing Option
NYU Berlin will be offering a wider variety of housing options, including nineteen single apartments in an apartment hotel close to the NYU Berlin Residence. The apartment hotel is located in the neighborhood of Kreuzberg, near Checkpoint Charlie, with easy access to public transport and ample shopping possibilities. Students who choose this housing option will have full access to all facilities at the NYU Berlin Residence, including study rooms, computer lab, and the Zen Lounge.
All apartments have a queen-size bed, seating area with TV and desk, a kitchenette (equipped with a microwave, a ceramic stovetop with burners, a fridge, a dishwasher, a kettle, a toaster, and a dining table and chairs), and a fully equipped bathroom. Apartments vary in size and layout, their sleeping arrangements, and kitchen appliances.
Amenities include free non-NYU wireless, access to a gym and sauna, laundry room, weekly linen service, and apartment cleaning twice a week. English-speaking reception staff is available 24 hours a day. Access to the building is granted via a secure card system.
NYU Berlin Residence Hall
Each student will be living in a fully furnished, fully equipped apartment in NYU Berlin’s student housing, centrally located in the district of Kreuzberg. All rooms are spacious and contain plenty of room for clothing and other personal belongings. Apartments range in size and house anywhere between two to eight students. Most students will live in a double room, though a very limited number of single rooms are also available. This modern building was originally drafted in 1984 by New York architect John Hejduk, and features wheelchair accessible rooms as well as rooms with fire alarms for the hearing impaired.
With fully stocked kitchens, each apartment allows residents to prepare their own meals at home and many students enjoy cooking larger dinners together with roommates and friends. Berlin offers a plethora of excellent and affordable cafés, restaurants and bakeries located all over the city. Students also have the option of dining at the Humboldt University cafeteria, just a quick U-Bahn ride away.
The student housing facilities feature an array of other amenities, including 24-hour security, quiet study rooms, a Zen Lounge for yoga, meditation, or studying in a relaxed and peaceful environment, a computer lab, a cozy student lounge "Wohnzimmer" complete with a flat-screen TV, blue-ray player, and an electric keyboard. The residence also offers a home theater called "Kino Babelsberg", which includes a high-definition projector for watching movies or TV shows in larger groups as well as a pool table. In-building washers and dryers along with a weekly laundry service for bedding linens are also provided.
- Bed with drawer space underneath
- Lockable wardrobe (supplied with hangers)
- Lockable bedside table
- Linens, a pillow, comforter, wash/hand towels
- A corkboard to hang pictures, postcards or other decorations
Your Living Area
- Kitchen appliances including oven/stove unit, refrigerator and microwave
- Fully stocked with kitchenware, including pots/pans, dishes, silverware, cups and glasses
- Trash and recycling bins
- Plenty of drawer/cupboard space
- Table and chairs for meals and studying
- Bathrooms with shower, storage space for toiletries, and heated towel rack
- Kitchens and bathrooms ensuite, shared with suitemates
Please note that the larger apartments housing 5-8 students feature two full bathrooms and extra kitchenware and appliances (e.g. two sinks, two refrigerators, etc.)
- 24-hour security, staffed with helpful and friendly guards
- NYU high-speed WIFI
- Study rooms on each floor
- Zen Lounge for calm, peaceful studying, yoga, or meditation
- Computer lab with printer, copier and scanner
- Home Theater "Kino Babelsberg" with high-definition projector, dvd/blue-ray player, surround sound, and pool table
- Student lounge "Wohnzimmer" with flatscreen tv, blue-ray player, electric keyboard, Wii gaming console
- Coin operated laundry facilities and weekly laundry service for linens
- Secure bike room
All students will be billed an IDENTICAL housing estimate. This is not an indication of your assignment. The estimated housing charge will be replaced with your actual housing charge as soon as assignments are finalized. This usually occurs shortly after the start of the program, as some students change their housing option.
Students should expect to be billed for severe damages at the end of the semester after a final walk through by NYU Berlin staff
Your options - Fall 2017/Spring 2018 Rates*:
- Doubles - $5,500 - These two-person bedrooms are in shared apartments (the Germans call them WGs, for Wohngemeinschaft) that range from 2-8 students per apartment.
- Doubles with Bunk - $5,100 - The same as above, but with bunkbeds instead of separated beds.
- Single rooms - $5,800 - Private bedrooms in shared apartments that range from 2-8 students per apartment. Please be aware - there are a VERY LIMITED number of single rooms available.
- Single Studio Apartments - $6,950 - These are studio apartments with kitchenettes, located close to the NYU Berlin Residence Hall.
* Above are the proposed fall 2017 and spring 2018 semester rates for the Berlin study away site. Final rates pending board of trustees approval in summer 2017. Room rates are site specific and are generally determined by room type, rental costs, and associated support services. The figures cited in NYU's Cost of Attendance are based on annual room and board rates at NYU's location in New York.
PLEASE NOTE - Apartments at the Student Residence vary in number of occupants and layout. Students may be placed in large apartments with 5-7 suitemates.
Housing options may change based on semester enrollment.
IMPORTANT - If you're planning to attend NYU Berlin, please read through The Housing License
NYU 05-555 Kaiser-Wilhem Church and Twisted SculpturePhoto credit: Bob Handelman
The NYU Berlin student residence is located on the border of the districts of Kreuzberg—the trendy multicultural district for young people and artists—and Mitte—a centrally located district which offers shopping and sightseeing, as well as quick and easy access to all public transit systems. One street over from Checkpoint Charlie, the building is very close to many cafés and restaurants, including options for special dietary needs. Also nearby are iconic cultural landmarks such as the Jewish Museum, Berlinische Gallerie and the Martin Gropius Bau.
The student residence is just a short walk from two major U-Bahn lines, making the commute to classes at the academic center about 30-35 minutes by public transport. These lines also make it simple and convenient to explore the rest of Berlin or meet for class excursions around the city.
There are multiple grocery stores very close by—including Lidl which is right across the street!—as well as food markets for fresh and affordable fruits and vegetables.
Berliners are generally quite active and Berlin is an excellent and safe city to see by bike. Many students choose to save money by getting a bike or signing up the NYU Berlin Bike Share rather than riding the U-Bahn. For other exercise activities, there are also a number of gyms in close proximity and parks for jogging.
- U-bahn line 6 (U6) Kochstraße/Checkpoint Charlie station around the corner on Friedrichstraße. Google Map It!
- U-bahn line 1 (U1) and U6 Hallesches Tor station a five minute walk south down Friedrichstraße. Google Map It!
- M29 Bus stop just up the street on Rudi-Dutschke-Straße - this gets you to the heart of Kreuzberg, a popular neighborhood for students and young Berliners with plenty of cafes, exciting nightlife and a wide range of music venues. Google Map It!
- All other U-Bahn and S-Bahn lines are accessable via these options.
Grocery Stores (Lebensmittelgeschäfte)
- Lidl, Charlottenstr. 1 just across from the dorm (think Gristedes) No need to map it, just look out the window!
- Spanische Quelle, Markgrafendamm 68, on the opposite street in the same building as Lidl (Spanish and Latin American food) Google Map It!
- Kaiser's, Friedrichstraße Friedrichstraße 60 in the atrium by Stadtmitte (Google Map it!) AND Friedrichstraße 246 (Google Map It!), on the way toward Hallesches Tor (more upscale, better selection, a bit pricier)
Banks and ATMs (Banks und Geldautomaten)
- Berliner Sparkasse Bank Rudi-Dutschke-Straße 17 (ATM and banking) Google Map It!
- Deutsche Bank Friedrichstraße 182 (ATM and Banking, FREE withdrawels with Bank of America account) Google Map it!
- Closest ATM next to Hotel Angleterre, Friedrichstraße (Mastercard ONLY) Google Map It!
- Another ATM South on Friedrichstraße (left side as you walk toward Hallesches Tor) Google Map It!
- Rayan Chicken, Friedrichstraße 237 (all styles of chicken, cheap and yummy) Google Map It!
- Paracas, Friedrichstraße 12 (Latin-American food, decent prices and good happy hour) Google Map It!
- Viet Bowl, Zimmerstraße 69 (Vietnamese) Google Map It!
- Kamps, Rudi-Dutschke-Straße 29 (Nice place to pick up coffee and breakfast before heading to the Academic Center) Google Map It!
- Sale e Tabacchi, Rudi-Dutschke-Str. 23 (fancier Italian fare) Google Map It!
- Pizza Max Restaurant Wilhelmstraße 23, Google Map It!
- Taisu Rudi-Dutschke-Straße 28 (Thai and Sushi, close by and they deliver!) Google Map It!
And many more quickly and easily reachable by train or bus!
- OR, if you're studying and want to stay in, you can order all kinds of food at This Handy Website (and they take American cards!)
- West Berlin Coffeebar and Mediashop, Friedrichstraße 215 (free wifi, lots of outlets, good coffee, cake and sandwiches) Google Map It!
- Coffee Point, Friedrichstraße 225 (24/7 bakery/café/convenience store for those late night study sessions) Google Map It!
- Fassbender & Rausch, Charlottenstraße 60 (famous chocolatier, excellent coffee and hot chocolate) Google Map It!
- Starbucks, Friedrichstraße 210 (If you're missing New York) Google Map It!