Academic Policies and Procedures


Registration and The Core Program Courses


Majors and Minors




Internships and Job Searches


Tuition and Financial Aid



Academic Policies and Procedures


I need a copy of my transcript. How do I get one?
For instructions on obtaining transcripts, please find the information here. NYU does not accept transcript requests via email.


How do I calculate my GPA?

Text Box: The weights assigned in computing Grade Point Averages are as follows:     A	4.0  A- 	3.7  B+	3.3  B	3.0  B-	2.7  C+	2.3  C	2.0  C-	1.7  D+	1.3  D	1.0  F	0.0  You can calculate your Grade Point Average (GPA) by determining the total of all

grade points earned and dividing that figure by the total number of credits

completed. For example, a student who has completed one 4-credit course with

a grade of A, one 4-credit course with a grade of B+, and one 2-credit course with

a grade of B has a grade point average of 3.52. This was computed as follows:


Credits                      Point Value


4 credits x 4.0 (A)        16.0
4 credits x 3.3 (B+)     13.2
2 credits x 3.0 (B)        6.0 
10 credits                    35.2


Now, divide the total point value (35.2) by the number of credits earned (10).

The total is your GPA (3.52).


Grades for work done at other institutions including those earned while matriculating

in other institutions are not included in a student’s grade point average.

There are no A+, D-, or F+ grades.


How do I bring in my AP, A-Level, IB, or previously completed college credits?
The Advanced Placement Program (AP), the International Baccalaureate Program, and results of some foreign maturity certificate examinations may enable you to receive credit. Please meet with an adviser to assess your scores for which credit may be given. If you are seeking to apply credit for previous college work, you must submit an official transcript and a syllabus or course description. Credits will be applicable only if the content of the course is similar to an equivalent NYU course. More information regarding credits may be found here.



How do I take a course Pass/Fail?
As a Liberal Studies Core Program student, you may elect one pass/fail option each semester, including the summer session. A total of 16 points may be taken pass/fail while in the Liberal Studies Program. The pass/fail option is not available for courses completed at non-NYU institutions.
The pass/fail option is unavailable for: 1. Courses in the LS Core Program Curriculum (Writing I & II, Cultural Foundations I, II & II, Social Foundations I, II & III); 2. Required coursework towards a major and/or minor; and 3. Courses under the Morse Academic Plan requirements for CAS or core requirements for other NYU schools.  To take a course pass/fail, you must submit a Pass/Fail Option form to the Liberal Studies Advising Center by the end of the ninth week of classes during the fall and spring terms, and by the end of the second week of classes for the summer sessions. Please meet with an academic advisor to submit the form.


How do I take an incomplete in a course?
If you encounter a serious problem based on unpredictable circumstances, it is at the discretion of the instructor whether or not to grant an incomplete at the end of a semester. Incompletes may only be awarded through prior written agreement (e.g. an Incomplete Contract) between the student and the professor before the end of the course.


How do I withdraw from a course? What is the significance of receiving a “W” for a dropped class?
To withdraw from a course, you must submit a Withdrawal form to the Liberal Studies Advising Center by the end of the tenth week of classes during the fall and spring terms. The Assistant Director of Students must review and approve your request to withdraw. Once approved, a “W” will be recorded on your transcript and will not be included in the calculation of your grade point average. Specific deadline dates for this semester may be found here.
The significance of a “W” can vary depending on your particular circumstances. If you have a single “W” on your transcript, and you have a legitimate and justifiable reason for having withdrawn from a class, then a “W” should not be a serious cause for concern. However, if you have “W’s” in multiple courses or consecutive semesters, or if you have withdrawn from a particular class multiple times, this may be interpreted as a cause for concern by someone reviewing your transcript.


What happens if I fail a course?
If you fail a core course required by the Liberal Studies Core Program (Writing I & II, Cultural Foundations I, II & II, Social Foundations I, II & III), you must retake the course and receive a passing grade to be allowed to transfer to a degree program.
Failing non-required courses impacts your grade point averages such that you may need to retake them to satisfy transfer or major requirements.


What is a passing grade? Can I repeat a course?
A “D” is considered a passing grade. In some cases, you may need to repeat a course for a higher grade. Though both grades will still appear on your transcript, the grade you earn for the repeated course will be factored into your grade point average; the first grade is no longer calculated in the grade point average.


How do I take a leave of absence from the NYU?
If you need to take a semester off due various circumstances, please obtain an official leave of absence from the Assistant Director of Students, Leah Guarino-Ramirez, before the beginning of the semester. If you do not obtain an official leave of absence, you will need to apply for readmission to NYU. A leave may be requested for one semester or for the entire academic year. 
You may apply for a medical leave of absence at any time. Medical leaves will be granted upon the recommendation of a physician, the Student Health Center, or Counseling and Wellness Services. Program changes may also be requested based on medical conditions.
If you leave for medical or psychological reasons, you will be required to show medical documentation stating that you are able physically and/or emotionally to continue school. In addition, if you took a leave of absence for psychological reasons, you will also be evaluated by NYU’s University Counseling office before returning to school.


How do I take a military leave of absence from the University?
If you need to take a military leave of absence, please contact Leah Guarino-Ramirez in the Liberal Studies Advising Center.


How do I withdraw from the University?
If you are withdrawing from the University, please meet with Leah Guarino-Ramirez, Assistant Director of Students, at the Liberal Studies Program Advising Center as soon as possible. In addition, if you are staying in University Housing, you will be asked to provide proof of withdrawal from the LSP Advising Center so that you will not be charged for future semesters. Please come to the Advising Center in person to obtain the necessary paperwork.


What are the requirements to successfully transition?
Students entering in the Fall Semester of 2011 and later must maintain good academic standing (2.0) to transfer to a degree granting program unless the program requires special qualifications.


How do I transfer to another school as a Core Program student?
If you wish to attend a different school not offering direct transition, please consult with an academic adviser to discuss the internal transfer process and application as soon as possible. If you wish to apply for an off-track transfer, please refer to the admissions website since some schools have additional requirements. Information regarding transfer dates may be found here


Will my Core Program grades count after I transfer?
Yes. When you transition to CAS or any other school, your LS grades are calculated as part of the GPA for that school.


Registration and The Core Program Courses


How do I register for classes?
You may register for classes online, through ALBERT, the NYU students’ information website. After you have your advisor’s approval and have been cleared to register, you may register via Albert, accessed through the NYU Home web portal. Questions or concerns regarding ALBERT registration may be directed to or


Albert says that I need to be cleared by my adviser to register. What do I do?
You must meet with your assigned academic advisor to be cleared to register. Once receiving the faculty advisor’s approval and clearance, you may register via Albert at the assigned registration day and time, accessed through the NYU Home web portal.


How do I decide which classes to take? What courses are Liberal Studies Core Program students expected to take?
The LS curriculum has been carefully designed as a building process in which both knowledge and skills are layered in logical sequence. Curriculum checklists may be accessed here.
A typical LS student’s schedule is the following:

1st Year:

Writing  I
Social Foundations I
Cultural Foundations I

Writing II
Social Foundations II
Cultural Foundations II

2nd Year:         

Social or Cultural Foundations III

Social or Cultural Foundations III

You are required to fulfill at least one math or science course prior to transitioning.  

What Natural Science courses are available for Core Program students?
As a Liberal Studies student, you may take the following Natural Science courses:

Natural Science I
History of the Universe (HOU-UF 101)
Science of Technology (SCTEC-UF 101)

Natural Science II
Human Evolution (ANTH-UA 2)
Life Science (LISCI-UF 101)
Environmental Studies (ENSTU-UF 101)


What math course should I take?
Math courses should be determined by the major in which you wish to pursue. Therefore, it is suggested as a Liberal Studies student, you should fulfill your science courses prior to taking a math unless you have a clear direction in your major choice. Quantitative Reasoning (MAP-UA10-), Calculus I (MATH-UA 121) fulfills the math requirement for CAS or most NYU schools. You should consult the transitioning school to determine the school’s math requirement. Please note that the Algebra and Calculus (MATH-UA 9) course does not fulfill the math requirement for CAS, but might for other NYU schools. If you have an AP Calculus score of 4 or 5, you may also be exempt from Calculus I and/or Quantitative Reasoning, depedning on the school. Please contact an academic advisor to submit AP scores to the registrar's office. Students entering as of Fall 2012, who obtain a qualifying score on the Mathematics SAT-II subject test (Level I or Level II) may be exempt from the QR course requirement in MAP for CAS, but not for other schools. Please check with your advisor.


I’m fluent in a language other than English. Do I still need to take the Foreign Language Placement test?
You are required to take the Foreign Language Placement exam to be exempt from the language requirement, unless you have an AP (or other advanced placement) credits in a language.  Many study abroad locations require you to be enrolled in a language course while abroad. Please refer to the NYU Study Abroad website to determine the requirements for each site:


What are my study away options?
You have an option to study at 13 NYU study away sites. Many study abroad locations require the student to be enrolled in a language course while abroad. Please refer to the NYU Study Abroad website to determine language requirements and available courses for each site. Coursework at the site should count towards the students’ intended major and/or minor. You may wish to visit NYU’s study abroad site at or contact Beth Haymaker, Director of Global Programs, for additional information.


I’m prehealth. What courses do I need to take?
If you are in the prehealth program, you must take the same sequence of courses no matter what college you attend. The professional schools, not the undergraduate colleges, require these courses. In addition, pre-health is an intention, not a major, so prehealth students should wisely plan to use their elective space to fill major requirements.

All pre-health students—at LS and otherwise—are advised to take the following core pre-health courses and should speak to Eva Bacevice or Vik Keenan, the Core Program Pre-health Professonal Academic Advisors for course selection advisement:

* Calculus I
General Chemistry I and Lab
General Chemistry II and Lab
Principles of Biology I
Principles of Biology II
Organic Chemistry I and Lab
Organic Chemistry II and Lab
General Physics I
General Physics II

Biochemistry I


Suggested Classes for the new MCAT:


Intro to Psychology or

Intro to Sociology


* Medical schools will accept AP credit for this requirement







4 credits
6 credits
6 credits
4 credits
4 credits
6 credits
6 credits
5 credits
5 credits

4 credits




4 credits

4 credits

The specific pre-health requirements outlined above must be completed before students matriculate into medical school. Since the MCAT is based on the assumption that students have completed these courses, the normal procedure is to have these completed before sitting for the examination.
NOTE: These courses are the minimum requirements. Some schools may require additional coursework, particularly in mathematics. Students should familiarize themselves with the specific requirements for those schools to which they plan on applying. The best source for this information is the AAMC publication “Medical Schools Admissions Requirements.”


The course I’m interested in is filled. How does the waitlist work?
Some courses are set up with a waitlist that is offered when the course closes. If you choose to put your name on the waitlist, NYU policy states that: 1. the flat fee for full time students is based on enrollment for 12-18 points; and 2. there is an established maximum credit limit of no more than 18 points.


Waitlist instructions can be found here.

Can I take courses in other schools while in the Core Program?
Yes. You can take courses in other schools. Some courses require special approvals or codes from the sponsoring departments. Access or clearance codes must be obtained directly from the department or school offering the course.


Can I register for any 2 credit classes in the course schedule handbook?
You can register for up to 18 credits with no additional tuition in other schools. Some courses require special approvals or codes from the sponsoring departments. Access or clearance codes must be obtained directly from the department or school offering the course. Students who are interested should consult the University Directory of Classes for the semester in question. 


Can Core Program students take summer and winter courses?
The Liberal Studies Core Program generally offers its own science summer courses; in addition LS Core Program students may take summer and winter courses through other NYU schools, most typically through CAS.  Core Program students must receive clearance for summer courses from the LS Advising Center beforehand. 


Majors and Minors


How do I declare my major?
As a Liberal Studies Core Program student, you will receive an e-mail from the Office of Admissions February of your sophomore year. Students who will be transitioning to CAS will be invited to visit their intended major department in CAS to declare their major in spring of sophomore year.


I’m thinking about double majoring but it seems like doing two programs will be tight. What do I do?
This depends on the particular majors pursued (and other non-major elective credits earned). Since some majors entail only 9 courses, you can usually complete two majors within the standard 128 credits. There are majors, however, that require more than 9 courses. Students should consult with an academic adviser for more information on each prospective major. 


Can I pursue a cross-school double major?
If you are bound for CAS, you may NOT pursue a secondary major in another school. If you are bound for other NYU schools, you may have the opportunity to pursue a secondary major at another NYU school. Please consult with an academic adviser or the NYU school for more information.


Can I pursue a cross-school minor? 
Yes. You may pursue cross-school minors.




I’m having trouble in one of my classes. Where can I get help?
The Academic Resource Center offers students help in math, science, computer science, economics, foreign languages through the University Learning Center as well as workshops in study skills, test taking strategies and time management.
Also, the NYU Writing Center offers tutoring in a range of writing needs, from planning and revising essays and research papers to preparing a resume or letters for employment. It is located at 411 Lafayette, 3rd floor.
Math tutoring is available through the CAS Math Department located in the Courant Institute, 251 Mercer Street.


What sort of awards and honor programs are available?
Students who demonstrate academic excellence may be selected for recognition with the following awards and programs::
The Elaine Kuntz Memorial Writing Prize was established in 1988 in memory of Dr. Kuntz, who was the program’s first associate director and a member of the faculty. The prize is awarded to an LS freshman each year for an outstanding essay produced in a writing course. The Writing faculty nominates students for this prize.
At the end of each academic year, a Dean’s Honors List is compiled. This is an honors roll of matriculated students who have achieved an average of 3.650 or higher for that academic year (September-May) in at least 28 graded points. In order to be listed, a student must not have any grades of Incomplete or N at the time the list is compiled. Note that grade point averages are not rounded off.
Students who complete the freshman year with a cumulative grade point average of 3.65 or better and who have earned at least 30 credit hours will be invited to apply for the Dean’s Circle University Scholars program, LS’s honor society. Dean’s Circle scholars participate in a range of activities with faculty, including visits to cultural events (e.g., performances, museum exhibits, and concerts) and an international travel experience. Members are also expected to engage in community service and to work over the course of the year on a major research project on a topic related to Dean’s Circle travel. In recent years, the Dean’s Circle scholars have traveled to the Brazil, Czech Republic, Cuba, England, Germany, Spain and Turkey. Dean’s Circle members in good standing also receive favorable consideration for the University Scholars program in the school to which they enroll in as juniors.

LS students are encouraged to apply for the Michael L. Probst Scholarships. The scholarship was endowed by a former distinguished NYU administrator. The awards are based solely on merit and are open to LS students at the end of the freshman year. Students do not need to be eligible for financial aid to receive the award. Scholarships will be applied to tuition charges for the fall semester of the sophomore year. The awards are for one year only and are not renewable. To be eligible to apply, students must have a cumulative NYU GPA of 3.75 or better with no outstanding incomplete grades, must have earned at least 32 credit hours toward the degree, must not have been subject to any disciplinary sanctions, and must enroll full time in for the fall semester. Eligible students must submit an application that includes an essay and a letter of support from an LS faculty member.
Curry awards, in honor of the program’s former associate dean, provide students who study abroad and receive financial aid with funds for academic research travel during their international experience.


Internships and Job Searches


I would like to pursue an internship. Where can I find more information?
The basic guidelines under which sophomores in the Liberal Studies Core Program may receive credit for an internship can be found on the LS Advising Website.


I don’t know what kind of job I want after graduation. How do I decide?
In addition to speaking with your faculty and academic advisor, information about careers and various professions may be further developed by visiting the Wasserman Center for Career Development


Tuition and Financial Aid


Where can I find information regarding the cost of tuition and financial aid?
For a list of current tuition and fees, visit the Office of the Bursar. For financial aid information, you can visit the NYU Financial Aid website


If I register for more than 18 credits in one semester will I have to pay additional fees?
Yes. Your tuition fee covers a credit load of 12-18 credits. Anything over 18 credits is charged the per credit rate. Please click here for a list of current tuition and fees. Please note, it is your responsibility to contact the Financial Aid Office to find out how this increase may affect your financial aid. Also, this increase may impact your curricular planning and degree progress, therefore you should meet with an academic adviser.

If I decide to drop a class will I receive a refund?
You should refer to the University Tuition Refund Plan. It depends on how many credits you are enrolled in, how many credits you plan to drop and when you actually drop the credits. During the fall and spring semesters, you will pay full tuition as long as you are enrolled in 12-18 credits. If you start off with 18 credits and drop a 4 credit course, you will still be responsible for the full cost of tuition. If you decide to take a leave of absence and drop all of your classes, the following refund schedule will apply. If you are enrolled in 19 or more credits and drop down to 12-18 credits, the following refund schedule will apply to the per credit rate only (those credits above 18).




© New York University | Arts and Science | Liberal Studies