FALL 2016 ENTERING FIRST YEAR ADVISING & REGISTRATION INFORMATION - GLOBAL LIBERAL STUDIES
Welcome to NYU!
Registration for first-year students in the Global Liberal Studies opens on Wednesday, June 8th. Your registration eligibility will not be activated before that date, but you will need to check for your specific registration appointment time in the Albert Student Center, accessed through your NYUHome portal. Please complete the following checklist well before the registration date so you are prepared for registration:
- Step 1: Activate your Net ID by May 22nd
Activate your NYU Net ID online at http://start.nyu.edu
If you encounter problems, please contact ITS Client Services at (212) 998-3333
- Step 2: Review the Albert Registration Guide before June 1st
Albert is the student information system at NYU, accessed through your NYUHome portal. To learn more about registration procedures through Albert, either review the visual guide offered here, or watch the brief video tutorial here at www.nyu.edu/registrar/sis/student-center-training/
- Step 3: Mark your calendar for the GLS Registration Webinar
These sessions will review the important details in registering for classes at NYU, and answer some common questions for new students. You will have the opportunity to submit questions live for academic advisors!
GLS Registration Webinar
To watch a recording of this webinar, please click here
- Step 4: Before June 8th, using Albert Course Search, draft a schedule of the four classes you plan to take in the fall semester.
The NYU Albert Course Search provides the most comprehensive scheduling information for classes, including the specific Class # needed in order to register online for a particular section of a course. For further description though, refer to the Liberal Studies Advising website. As a reminder, most students register in 4 total courses (including 3 requirements from Liberal Studies). The fourth course should fulfill a general education requirement (such as Natural Science, Global Cultures, or language), or a general elective. As you search, the 3 Core Program requirements will be listed under Liberal Studies.
___ Global Writing Seminar, GWS-UF 101 (Required)
___ Cultural Foundations I, CFI-UF 101 (Required)*
___ Social Foundations I, SFI-UF 101 (Required)*
___ AND a fourth class. For assistance, consult with your academic advisor and review Part II of this registration guide.
*The 3 GLS required classes are found under Liberal Studies in the Albert Course Search. Please note you will need to register for the GLS-specific sections of Cultural and Social Foundations. This will be indicated in the course notes as “GLS Only.” You will not be able to enroll in an LS Core Program section.
Some Special Notes & Reminders
- We encourage you to balance your schedule by arranging two classes on Mondays & Wednesdays, and the other two classes on Tuesdays & Thursdays, if possible. And schedule at least 15 minutes between each class to allow for commuting time between buildings.
- First-year students are expected to register in four 4-credit classes in the fall semester. Note full-time status at NYU is defined as enrollment in 12-18 credits, and students on average take 16 credits.
- Some lectures in the College of Arts and Science may have a weekly recitation (RCT) associated with it. If so, you are required to register for both the lecture and a corresponding recitation, entering class numbers for both.
- Waitlists are not an option for courses offered through Global Liberal Studies
- Step 5: On June 8th, register in your four classes for Fall 2016 at your designated time
- Registration is through NYUHome. Log into your account at www.home.nyu.edu, and click on the Albert Student Center link under the Academics tab. Once connected to the Student Center, click on the “Enroll” link to register for your courses.
- Follow the instructions provided in the online Albert Guide to search for class listings, and ultimately register for classes when activated on June 8th (or as soon as possible thereafter)
- Step 6: Confirm your selections by viewing your class schedule in Albert
- After registering for the fall semester, click on the “My Class Schedule” link under the “Enroll” tab in order to view your detailed schedule
- Your classes will display in a list format, but you can also click on “Weekly Calendar View” to see your classes in chronological order for the week