English Language Testing
Language Proficiency Testing Policy
All NYU students must have a strong command of the English language to be successful in a fast-paced, rigorous academic environment. If English is not your native language, you may be asked to submit results from one of the following English language proficiency examinations:
- TOEFL iBT** (Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-Based Test)
- Duolingo English Test
- IELTS Academic (International English Language Testing System)
- PTE Academic (Pearsons Test of English Academic)
- C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency (Cambridge English: Advanced or Proficiency)
- iTEP (International Test of English Proficiency)
**NYU will accept scores from the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition.
We are unable to accept the IELTS Indicator and TOEFL ITP Plus for China at this time.
Additional exams may be added at a later time. Please refer to our English Language policy before applying and/or taking any exams to ensure your test scores will satisfy our application requirements. Applicants to NYU Abu Dhabi should refer to the NYU Abu Dhabi website for more information.
How do I know if I need to take a language proficiency test?
You do not need to if:
- English is your native language; or
- You already completed (at the time of application submission) at least 3 or more consecutive, full academic years at a school/university where the sole language of instruction was English.
When do I need to take one of these exams?
Exams should be completed before the application deadline, and results cannot be more than 2 years old by the application deadline. While we will consider scores received after the application deadline, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to wait for those scores to arrive before making an admissions decision.
What do I need to score on one of these tests?
We don’t have minimum score requirements, but competitive applicants will receive:
- 100 and above on the TOEFL iBT
- 125 and above on the Duolingo English Test
- 7.5 and above on the IELTS Academic
- 70 and above on the PTE Academic
- 191 and above on the Cambridge English Scale
- 4.5 and above on the iTEP
How do I submit my results to NYU?
For the TOEFL iBT, use NYU's code 2562.
For the IELTS Academic, search for "New York University" and release results to Undergraduate Admissions as opposed to one of our school or colleges. Similarly, for the PTE Academic, C1 Advanced and C2 Proficiency, select "New York University" as opposed to one of our specific NYU schools or colleges. Searching for "NYU" will not return any results; you must search using our official name.
Am I required to interview with NYU?
No. Interviews are not required for admission to NYU.
Is there anything else I should know?
A couple points to consider when applying to NYU as a non-native English speaker:
- If you are a non-native English speaker taking a bilingual curriculum, you are still required to submit English language test results.
- If you are a non-native English speaker taking a curriculum that is heavily focused on math and science, you are encouraged to submit English language test results, even if you are exempt from this requirement.
- If you are looking to improve your English skills before applying for an undergraduate program, one way is through the American Language Institute, which is housed at NYU.