We understand that some of the requested forms and documents required on the Common Application may be unfamiliar to some students, so here’s a quick guide to help you.

Note that if documents are not in English, an English translation should be provided, one which is issued either by a school official or by a translation agency accredited in the educational institution's country.

School Report

The school report includes everything that comes from your high school or college counselor, including your academic records, predicted testing results, counselor recommendation, school profile, and mid-year report.

If you do not have a high school or college counselor, you may ask a tutor, house master, principal, academic advisor, or other comparable school official to complete the School Report.

Academic Records

These include a high school transcript, and college/university transcript for transfer applicants. Transcripts are a record of your academic accomplishments, including every course you took, when you took each course, and the grades you received. If your high school does not calculate a cumulative numerical Grade Point Average (GPA) or class rank, leave both fields blank on the Common Application.

Students coming from educational systems unfamiliar with the typical transcript can instead submit documents that detail all high school grades, such as term or semester reports, provisional or promotional examination results, official results from lower secondary school certificate qualifications, internal grades, or predicted grades.

Counselor Evaluation/Recommendation

In the recommendation, your counselor (or other school official) tells us about their experience with you as a student. This can include both personal and academic characteristics, as well as your extracurricular involvement.

School Profile (if available)

This provides summary information about the school's student body, curricular offerings, and grading system.

Mid-Year/Mid-Term Report

In-progress semester grades can be submitted through the Mid-Year Report (by February 1st for first-year applicants). You can choose to submit the report, or NYU may contact you, requesting you to submit the report if it is needed to complete your application evaluation.

If you are enrolled in a college or university operating on the trimester or quarter system, you should submit winter term grades as soon as grades become available, as opposed to using the Mid-Term Report.

Final Report

If you are admitted to NYU as a first-year student and submit your deposit, you are also required to provide NYU with a Final Report. Transfer applicants can submit either the Final Report or an official final high school transcript, which includes all final grades and a date of graduation.

College Report

This may be required for transfer applicants, and is comprised of the same components as the school report. Any college official who has access to your full academic and disciplinary record, such as your Dean, Adviser or the Registrar, can submit the College Report to NYU. If the form is required we will reach out to you requesting the information. 

Standardized Testing

NYU has a very flexible Standardized Testing Policy to accommodate students from all over the world. In addition to the ACT, SAT, AP, and IB exams, we also accept national examinations from over a hundred countries. You can refer to our International Credentials Tool which allows for you see specifically what is requires for each examination based on country of origin. 

As part of our standardized testing policy, some applicants will also be required to submit English language proficiency testing, and may be contacted for a virtual interview to further assess your English language abilities.

Instructor Evaluation

This should be submitted by a teacher/professor who taught you in the last 2-3 years, preferably in an academic subject such as English language or literature, history or another social science, mathematics or natural science, or foreign language acquisition. Your teacher should provide assessment or endorsement, enabling NYU to get a better sense about what you're like in the classroom.