Internal transfers are current NYU students who want to transfer from one NYU school or college to another. If this applies to you, here’s what you need to know:
Am I eligible to transfer?
You’re eligible if you’re in at least your second semester of consecutive full-time study at your current NYU school or college.
If you want to change programs within the same school/college, contact your school/college advising office.
How do I apply?
Log into NYU Albert. Click the "Application Center" link and follow the instructions for the internal transfer application.
If you're interested in transferring between NYU campuses (New York City, Abu Dhabi, and Shanghai), please contact Shawn Abbott, Dean of Admissions at email@example.com.
Is there an application fee?
When is the deadline?
- Spring start: November 1
- Summer or Fall Start: March 1
Note: NYU sets deadlines so as many internal transfers as possible can pre-register in their new school or college. Applications submitted after the deadline are considered on a space-available basis.
Can I re-apply if I’m not accepted or want to transfer again?
You have to wait one academic year to re-apply if your application is denied. If you’ve already switched schools or colleges,you can do so again after one academic year.
I’m in the Core Program in Liberal Studies. What do I need to know?
- You can transfer to another school/college only after you’ve completed the Core Program
- Contact your adviser if your future program does not require four years to graduate
- Start discussing the transition process your sophomore year
I'd like to transfer to an artistic program. Do I need to schedule an audition or submit a creative portfolio?
Yes. More information about artistic requirements can be found on school or department websites:
- Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development (Studio Art; Music and Performing Arts Professions)
- Tisch School of the Arts
- Tisch Drama applicants can schedule an audition date by following the instructions detailed on the Tisch website.
Will my financial aid change?
In most cases, no — but there are exceptions. Contact the Office of Financial Aid at (212) 998-4444 once you’re admitted to a new school or college.
When will I find out if I’m admitted?
You’ll find out before the end of the academic semester in which you apply.
How should I plan for registration?
- Before a decision is made, register at your current school/college
- If accepted, contact your new new school/college for registration date and instructions
- We’ll try to make an admissions decision in time so you can early register at your new school/college. However, this is not guaranteed.
Will my minor carry over?
Unfortunately, it won’t. Talk with an adviser in your new program to find out if re-declaring your minor is possible.
I’m a former NYU student. What do I need to know?
If you want to apply to a different school or college …
- Apply as an internal transfer if you HAVE NOT attended another college or university since leaving NYU
- Apply as an external transfer student if you HAVE attended another college or university since leaving NYU
If you want to apply to the same NYU school or college …
- Log into NYU Albert and complete the Undergraduate Application for Readmission under the Application Center (if you have not attended another college or university since leaving NYU)
- For previous School of the Arts students seeking readmission to Tisch, submit the Tisch Readmission Application available through Tisch Student Affairs.
- If you have attended another college or university since leaving NYU Apply as an external transfer student