New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

International Transfer Students

NYU welcomes applications for admission from students all over the world. In fact, international students, defined by NYU as students who do not hold citizenship or permanent residency status in the United States, comprise roughly 20% of the most recent entering class on our New York campus. There are, however, important notes for international students to consider when applying for admission:

  • Financial aid to international students on our New York campus is only available for incoming freshmen. If offered admission, international students will be required to submit a certification of finances demonstrating that they will be able to fund their four years of study through a combination of their own funds and any financial assistance we may provide. Students should not submit a certification of finances or bank statements until after they are offered admission.
  • All applicants, regardless of citizenship, must apply online. Students outside the U.S. who must send application documents (e.g. diplomas, transcripts, etc.) in hardcopy form are strongly encouraged to do so well in advance of our stated application deadlines.
  • NYU does not consider undergraduate admissions applications from students who already possess a bachelor's degree in any academic area, with the exception of Nursing and all majors offered through the School of Engineering. (Students interested in a second bachelor's degree in Nursing may click here for information. Students interested in a second bachelor's degree at the Tandon School of Engineering may click here for more information.)
  • International students may be required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE Academic results as proof of English language proficiency. Please review the English language proficiency section of the Standardized Tests page of our website for more information.

All applicants to NYU, regardless of citizenship, are held to the same admissions standards, and evaluated on the same admissions criteria.


It is not necessary for you to submit financial documents with your application. The New York University Application for Certificate of Eligibility (AFCOE), will be available online to students who are offered admission and who pay the enrollment deposit. All non-U.S. Citizens and non-U.S. permanent residents must file the AFCOE and submit appropriate evidence of their ability to finance their education before certificates for student visas (Form I-20) or exchange visitor visas (Form DS-2019) can be issued.

If you are admitted to NYU and your studies will be financed with your own savings, parental support, outside private or government scholarships, or any combination of these, you will need to send official letters or similar certificates as proof of such support. You will need to include your name and date of birth on each document you submit.

If you are currently in the United States at the time of your admission, you must submit a copy of your I-94 card. Please note that students holding F-1 or J-1 student visas are generally not allowed to work in the United States to earn money toward their education and are required to pursue a full-time course load each semester.

NYU Footer