New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

Secondary School Preparation

Because our applicants come from a broad range of secondary schools around the world, we understand that the options available to students will vary widely based on the schools they attend. Freshmen who are best prepared to succeed at NYU will have explored the following topics in their high schools:

4 years of English with a heavy emphasis on writing;
3-4 years of history/social studies;
3-4 years of mathematics;
3-4 years of laboratory sciences; and
3-4 years of a foreign language.

Students who are highly competitive for admission will choose the most demanding coursework available in their schools, with four years in each of the subjects above.

Proof of Graduation
Admitted students must provide the Office of Undergraduate Admissions with proof of graduation by July 1 of the year they plan to enroll. Extensions will only be granted for international students who attend schools that operate on a different academic calendar. In all cases, proof of graduation must be provided prior to beginning the first semester of classes at NYU.

The following documents serve as proof of secondary school graduation:

  • A final high school transcript submitted directly from the student’s school. We will not accept a high school transcript submitted by the student. The final high school transcript must show the date of graduation.
  • Results from the General Education Development (GED) Test. Click here for more information about obtaining a GED.
  • Original or officially certified copies of nationally recognized high school graduation examination results, such as the Advanced Level General Certificate of Education or the International Baccalaureate Diploma.
  • A homeschool diploma, a certificate of completion of a homeschool program that is considered the equivalent of a high school diploma in the applicant's home state, or GED test results as listed above.

Final transcripts may be submitted by a school official through the Common Application website. All hardcopy materials should bear an official stamp, be signed and mailed from a student's school in a sealed envelope to:

New York University
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
665 Broadway, 11th Floor
New York, New York 10012

Documents may also be emailed to but must still bear an official stamp, come from a school official, and be sent from an official school email address.

NYU Footer