Here’s a step-by-step guide to applying as a freshman to NYU.
Step 1: Start and Complete the Common Application Online
- Contact information for the counselor or other school representative who will complete your Common Application School Report and submit your official high school transcript
- Contact information for one teacher (or two, maximum) who will complete the Teacher Evaluation form
- Nonrefundable $70.00 application fee. Students who are unable to pay the application fee can request a fee waiver.
>> Are you ready? Start the application now
Step 2: Gather and Submit Necessary Documents
Depending on your educational background and the program you are applying to, you will need to provide the following:
- Official score reports (see NYU’s standardized testing requirements)
- English language testing if English is not your native language
- Official transcripts of all college work that you have received academic credit for
- Additional requirements that might be necessary for the program you’re applying to. Please note that if you need to submit an artistic review, it’s a good idea to complete your Common Application a month early.
- The Common Application Mid Year Report with updated transcript. This should show your first semester senior year grades. Submit the report by March 1 through the Common Application.
Special Note About Documents
- Submit originals or certified copies only. A certified copy has an original signature of the registrar or other designated school official, or the institution's seal.
- You must include an official English translation if the document isn’t in English. A school official or a translation agency accredited in the country of the educational institution can issue the translation. NYU will only make exceptions for documents in Mandarin Chinese submitted to NYU Shanghai.