Whatever your family’s income, wherever you live, you may qualify for some form of financial aid, so we recommend you apply even if you think you may not qualify.
On this page, you'll find the basics for applying for financial aid at NYU, but we encourage you to visit the Financial Aid website for more detailed instructions.
To apply for financial aid, the two forms most NYU applicants will need to fill out are the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE and FAFSA. Your citizenship status and the NYU campus you plan to attend will determine which one(s) apply to you. Note that undocumented students in New York may also be eligible for NYU financial aid.
- CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE: All applicants except transfer applicants, Chinese nationals applying to NYU Shanghai, and UAE nationals applying to NYU Abu Dhabi.
- FAFSA: U.S. citizens, permanents residents, or eligible non-citizens who want to attend NYU's New York City or Shanghai campuses.
To complete the forms, you’ll need…
- Your 9-digit NYU ID number, which will be emailed to you within seven days of submitting your Common Application
- You or your family’s latest tax return
- The NYU school code: 2785
- A comfortable place for filling out forms (if you drink coffee, put a pot on)
Submitting the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE
This form is for financial aid from NYU. All applicants need to fill it out except transfer applicants, Chinese nationals applying to NYU Shanghai, and UAE nationals applying to NYU Abu Dhabi. As you see below, there are three possible versions of the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE.
In addition to the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE, students with divorced, separated, or unmarried parents will also need to complete the CSS Noncustodial Parent PROFILE or the CSS Noncustodial Parent PROFILE Waiver Request by our deadlines.
Submitting the FAFSA
This form is for financial aid from the federal government, and must be completed in addition to the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE for scholarship consideration. If you’re a U.S. citizen, permanent resident of the U.S., or eligible non-citizen who wants to attend either NYU’s New York City or Shanghai campus, you must complete and submit the FAFSA. NYU Abu Dhabi applicants do not need to fill it out.
Financial Aid Deadlines
Each round of admissions has its own deadline for financial aid applications. Be sure to carefully review the deadlines below as filing late can affect scholarship eligibility can also affect in future years.