Apply for Financial Aid

Whatever your family’s income, wherever you live, you may qualify for some form of financial aid, so we recommend you apply even if you think you may not qualify.

On this page, you'll find the basics for applying for financial aid at NYU, but we encourage you to visit the Financial Aid website for more detailed instructions. 

Getting Started

To apply for financial aid, the two forms most NYU applicants will need to fill out are the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE and FAFSA. Your citizenship status, NYU campus you plan to attend, and type of applicant you are will determine which one(s) apply to you.

  • CSS Profile: All first-year applicants except Chinese nationals applying to NYU Shanghai and UAE nationals applying to NYU Abu Dhabi and all transfer or second bachelor's degree applicants (for Fall 2019 admission and beyond) who are U.S citizens, permanent residents, eligible non-citizen, or undocuments students.
  • FAFSA: U.S. citizens, permanents residents, or eligible non-citizens who want to attend NYU's New York City or Shanghai campuses. 

To complete the forms, you’ll need…

  • Your 9-digit NYU ID number, which will be emailed to you within seven days of submitting your Common Application
  • You or your family’s latest tax return
  • The NYU school code: 2785
  • A comfortable place for filling out forms (if you drink coffee, put a pot on)

Please Note: At present, NYU does not provide institutional aid to transfer students with the exception of certain partner or specialty programs such as CCTOP, Phi Theta Kappa, Horizon, GUIDE, POISE, and Second Degree Transfer program at Rory Meyers College of Nursing. Our financial aid counselors are here to help prospective transfer students consider financial options including federal financial aid.

Submitting the CSS Profile

This form is for financial aid from NYU, including our grants and scholarships. All first-year and some transfer and second bachelor's degree applicants need to fill it out.  If your parents are divorced, separated, or unmarried, both parents must complete separate versions of the CSS Profile or you must submit our waiver request form. Chinese nationals applying to NYU Shanghai and UAE nationals applying to NYU Abu Dhabi are not required to file the CSS Profile.

Submitting the FAFSA

This form is for financial aid from the federal government, and must be completed in addition to the CSS Profile for scholarship consideration. If you’re a U.S. citizen, permanent resident of the U.S., or eligible non-citizen who wants to attend either NYU’s New York City or Shanghai campus, you must complete and submit the FAFSA. NYU Abu Dhabi applicants do not need to fill it out.

Submitting the TAP

As the name suggests, the New York State Tuition Assistance Program, or TAP, is a grant offered only to New York residents. Complete and submit its application after you submit your FAFSA. NYU’s code for this form is 0555.

Financial Aid Deadlines

Each round of admissions has its own deadline for financial aid applications. Be sure to carefully review the deadlines below as filing late can affect scholarship eligibility can also affect in future years.