If you’ve been offered admission as a first-year student to NYU, you may request to defer your enrollment for one full year. If your request is approved and you meet the requirements listed below, you do not have to file a new application and are guaranteed readmission for the following year.
Students admitted to the Department of Dance in the Tisch School of the Arts cannot defer their enrollment. If you cannot enroll for the upcoming semester, you will need to re-apply and re-audition for the following fall semester.
Important things to be aware of:
- You will still have to pay a non-refundable enrollment deposit for your original start term tuition. This payment will be credited toward your first term at NYU.
- You will be required to pay an additional $500 enrollment deposit when you re-confirm your enrollment by January 9th of next year. The payment will also be credited toward your first term at NYU.
- We consider students who are deferring their enrollment to be much like Early Decision students who have committed to attend NYU. As a result, you will be held to the same expectations and deadlines as our other Early Decision students, which includes not filing new applications to other colleges and universities.
In essence, if you are approved to defer your enrollment, you are committed to enrolling at NYU but are simply making that commitment a year in advance.
Requirements for Deferment
- Complete the NYU Deferred Enrollment Request Form by August 1.
- You may not defer your enrollment to attend another college or university.
- You may not defer your enrollment to apply to other colleges and universities during your time away from NYU. If you do your NYU admission will be revoked.
- Forward your final high school transcript indicating date of graduation to the NYU Office of Undergraduate Admissions immediately upon graduation. It is your responsibility to ensure that an official, final high school transcript is received by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
Other Things to Consider When Deferring Enrollment
Communication with the Office of Undergraduate Admissions
You must confirm your intention to enroll for the subsequent fall or spring (depending on the term for which you were offered admission) by submitting a second enrollment deposit when requested to do so. Also know that we will not allow you to enroll at NYU if we do not receive a final high school transcript from you showing proof that you have graduated.
All students who have been approved for deferred enrollment should understand the following regarding their financial aid:
Students approved to defer their enrollment for one year and who received a financial aid package with their original offer of admission can expect that the NYU portion of their package (i.e. NYU scholarships and grants) will also be deferred and received in full as originally offered as long as the following criteria are met:
- U.S. Citizens and U.S. Permanent Residents Admitted to our New York campus or NYU Shanghai: It is not necessary to re-submit the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE, as scholarship eligibility will not be reevaluated. However, you must fill out the new Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the upcoming academic year by February 15 (11:59pm EST) in order to be reviewed for federal financial aid and to secure any scholarship you were initially offered.
- Non U.S. Citizens/Non U.S. Permanent Residents Admitted to our New York campus or NYU Shanghai: You will need to submit a CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE for the upcoming academic year by February 15 (11:59pm EST) to secure any scholarship you were initially offered.
- Chinese Nationals Admitted to NYU Shanghai: It is not necessary to file the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE. For questions about your aid eligibility please contact the NYU Shanghai Office of Admissions at 212-998-4500 (+86-21-2059-5599 Shanghai Office, China Standard Time) or by email at email@example.com.
- UAE Nationals Admitted to NYU Abu Dhabi: It is not necessary to file the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE. You will automatically be awarded the same level of financial support as initially offered.
- Non UAE Nationals Admitted to NYU Abu Dhabi: You will need to submit a CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE for the upcoming academic year by February 15 (11:59pm EST) to receive the same level of financial support you were initially offered.
Students who defer their enrollment for one year will not be re-evaluated for new NYU scholarships and grants, so if a student missed the original deadline for the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE during the year they were originally offered admission and were not offered any scholarship as a result, they will still be ineligible for NYU scholarships and grants.
All U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents admitted to NYU New York or NYU Shanghai will be reviewed for federal financial aid with the successful submission of a valid FAFSA.
Students may be approved to defer their enrollment for a second or third year. A student approved for an additional year of deferred enrollment must reapply for all types of financial aid by February 15 prior to the fall semester of entry to be reviewed for current scholarship eligibility. The initial package offered upon their original admission will not be available.
The following applications for the upcoming academic year are required for scholarship consideration:
- CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE - All students admitted to our New York campus, NYU Shanghai, or NYU Abu Dhabi by February 15 (11:59 pm EST)
- FAFSA – All U.S. citizens and permanent residents admitted to our New York campus or NYU Shanghai by February 15 (11:59 pm EST)
- Noncustodial PROFILE/Waiver Request - All students admitted to our New York campus, NYU Shanghai, or NYU Abu Dhabi whose parents are divorced, separated, or never married by February 20 (11:59 pm EST)
If any of the above applications are filed late, the student would not be reviewed for NYU scholarship or grant, but would be reviewed for federal aid eligibility with a valid FAFSA if they are a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident admitted to NYU New York or NYU Shanghai.
If you are approved to defer your enrollment, you will be offered a space in one of our NYU residence halls for your new term of entry. Housing is guaranteed for all of our first-year students who meet our deadlines and requirements.
Deferring a Second or Third Year
While most enrollment deferrals are for a one year, you can be granted a deferral for a second and third year if you need to complete compulsory military service or missionary work. Approval of your second or third year of deferral, however, can’t be approved in advance. It must be done by January 9th of the following year.
If you are granted a second or third year deferral, you will be required to pay an additional $500 enrollment deposit when you re-confirm your enrollment by January 9th of next year. The payment will be credited toward your new start term.