Am I eligible to apply for Summer in NYC?
If any of the following apply to you, you are eligible to apply for Summer in NYC:
- High school graduates who have earned a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Current undergraduates at a college/university who would like to study away for a semester.
- Post-graduate students who already have their Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university and wish to take undergraduate courses.
- Returning visiting students may re-apply for up to three consecutive semesters.
Visiting students should work with their home institution to ensure that the courses they participate in at NYU will transfer back to the school where they will receive their degree.
Visiting student admission decisions are based on the strength of your academic work and life experiences. Our most competitive visiting student applicants have a cumulative 3.0 GPA or higher, but each year, candidates may be admitted with more modest academic records if they have compelling circumstances to share in the "Additional Information" section of our application.
Who should not apply as a visiting student?
Students currently on academic, disciplinary, and/or medical leave or probation at their current institution are not eligible to study at NYU. In certain cases, appeals to this policy may be reviewed when indicated on the application with appropriate documentation. Students may take a personal leave for the semester(s) they are studying at NYU if such a leave is required by their home institution to maintain matriculation.
In addition, if any of the following apply to you, you should not apply as a visiting student for Summer in NYC:
Students who are currently matriculated in an NYU degree program are able to earn credits toward their degree through NYU Summer in NYC. NYU students must register on Albert; please do not submit the Summer in NYC Visiting Student Application. For information about University deadlines, check the academic calendar.
Students who wish to matriculate at New York University and receive a degree from NYU should apply as a freshman, graduate, or transfer student. They should not apply for visiting student status.
Students who are interested in earning graduate credit for Summer in NYC courses must apply through the Admissions office of the school that offers the course of interest. Click on the links below to contact the school of your choice.
- Graduate School of Arts and Science
- School of Continuing Professional Studies
- Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development
- Tisch School of the Arts
- Robert F. Wagner School of Public Service
*Please note that graduate-level Stern courses (-GB) are not open to visiting students. For admissions information, please visit the Stern Admissions page.
- Students who plan to accept an offer of admission to NYU as a freshman may take summer classes by submitting the online Summer in NYC Visiting Student Application. Full-time student status begins in the fall. Before registering, students should consult with their school's academic advising center to determine if and how any courses taken the summer prior to their admission may count towards their program.
- Students who plan to accept an offer of admission to NYU as a transfer or graduate student must contact the appropriate admissions office for clearance to register and for further instructions. Do not submit the Summer in NYC Visiting Student Application.
- College freshmen who were denied admission to NYU may enroll as an NYU visiting student after one full academic year.
- Students who were denied admission as a transfer applicant to NYU may enroll as an NYU visiting student after one academic semester.