New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

Financial Assistance

For Visiting Students

New York University does not award scholarship aid or federal aid (grants and loans) to students who are not enrolled toward a degree at NYU. Students currently enrolled at another college or university should contact their home college or university's financial aid office to investigate the possibility of receiving financial assistance through their own school. Most schools will administer certain kinds of financial aid on behalf of their students who register for classes elsewhere, but will require the student to complete the home school's consortium agreement. This agreement between schools needs to be completed by both the home school and the visiting school (NYU).

Please note: It will take up to three weeks for NYU to complete the consortium agreement and send it back to your home school.

In most cases, visiting students seeking nonfederal loans do not have to complete a consortium agreement but instead are required to complete the Non-NYU Undergraduate Summer Aid Application (see link below). On the Summer Aid Application, the student should indicate that he or she is a visiting student seeking nonfederal aid. For more information about private loan options and the application process, see

Visiting Undergraduates: Go to the NYU Office of Financial Aid website and complete the Summer Financial Aid Application for Non-NYU (Visiting) Students. This form becomes available in February of each year, with a deadline in late May.

For Currently Enrolled NYU Students

The NYU schools that offer summer abroad programs take into account the additional expenses that may be required for study outside the U.S. and may offer their own school-based adjustments. NYU students who wish to be considered for loan assistance to help with the cost of summer abroad program tuition must complete a brief Summer Financial Aid Application for NYU Undergraduates through the Office of Financial Aid. This form becomes available in February of each year, with a deadline in late April. All questions regarding financial aid for NYU student planning to take summer courses should be directed to the Office of Financial Aid.

Most summer aid is in the form of loans. All NYU students may be considered for private, nonfederal loan programs.

Students who received scholarship aid during the academic year prior to the summer in which they intend to study abroad may apply for a NYU Summer Scholarship. Students must enroll for a total of 12 points during the summer sessions to be considered for a scholarship (or a total of 6 points to be considered for most other types of aid). Because funding is very limited, priority is given to those students who demonstrate financial need. For scholarship consideration, both the NYU Summer Aid Application and the FAFSA application must be received by March 1. New York State residents may also be eligible for TAP (Tuition Assistance Program) or New York State Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS) grants.

Students who qualify for state aid receive their award as reimbursement (a refund after registration) and are not able to use their award for initial payment at registration. For further information, contact the Office of the Bursar at 212-998-2800.

Students who receive a Federal Pell Grant and are not enrolled full time (fewer than 12 points) for the fall and spring semesters may be eligible for Federal Pell Grants during the summer. Students who anticipate graduating in the fall may be eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant but must file the FAFSA for the year in which they wish to study abroad. In all cases, students must identify themselves to the Office of Financial Aid, and should address any questions to the Office of Financial Aid.


External Scholarships

Students looking for additional funding for their studies abroad should be aware that scholarships are available through many organizations outside of NYU. Please keep in mind that NYU does not administer these scholarships and has no authority to award funding through these programs, alter scholarship application deadlines, or adjust application requirements, but our students have received funding through these programs in the past. See below and here for more information.

Instructions for How to Apply to Gilman Scholarship:

Visit to learn more about the Gilman scholarship and to complete the on-line application. Please review the eligibility requirements carefully, keeping in mind only students currently receiving a federal Pell Grant will be considered.

Read the Application Tips and complete the online application by midnight on March 4, 2014. The application includes three main sections: personal data, Statement of Purpose Essay, and Follow-On Project Proposal. You’ll also be asked to select a Study Abroad and Financial Aid Adviser. See adviser details below.

Complete the Gilman Authorization form by March 5, 2013. *This is the only way to ensure that your application will be certified by both advisers. We are unable to certify your application without your signed form on file.

For specific questions, you can reach the Gilman Organization at 713-621-6300 or

Adviser Information:

Study Abroad Adviser (NYU Global Programs and International Exchanges)

Kate Bruce, 212-998-4433

Study Abroad Adviser (Tisch Special Programs)

Alyssa Leal, 212-998-1835

Financial Aid Adviser

Mike Zinkham, 212-998-4485

NYU Footer