Due to summer 2020 classes at NYU moving to exclusively online instruction, Summer 2020 Precollege is no longer eligible for F-1 and J-1 student visa sponsorship.
Note: International students are now welcome to apply up until the final deadline. Please note that international students may participate remotely.
In most cases, international students who want to enroll in NYU Precollege will need a student visa in order to attend. Please note that NYU advises against a B-1/B-2 visa or Visa Waiver (ESTA) for Precollege students. If you require NYU sponsorship for a visa, only F-1 or J-1 is advised. Please contact the NYU Office of Global Services (OGS) with specific visa related questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is important to allow plenty of time between admission and the start of the program to ensure that all visa steps are completed. As such, all international students must submit their application in full, including language proficiency scores, by the March 15th application deadline.
|Application Available||February 1|
|International Application Deadline||
|I-20 Forms* due to OGS||April 1|
*I-20 Forms are sent after an admitted student has accepted their spot.
English Language Testing Requirements:
If English is not your native language, you may be asked to show your proficiency by taking one of the following tests (results must be from the last two years):
- TOEFL iBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-Based Test)
- IELTS Academic (International English Language Testing System)
- PTE Academic (Pearsons Test of English Academic)
- C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency (Cambridge English: Advanced or Proficiency)
- MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery)
- iTEP (International Test of English Proficiency)
- Duolingo English Test**
**Starting with applicants for the Summer 2020 semester, NYU will accept the Duolingo English Test to fulfill our English language proficiency requirement.
Who is exempt from English language proficiency testing?
Exemption will be given in the following circumstances:
- If your native language is English;
- If you have been studying in a school or college/university where the sole language of instruction is English for at least 3 full year at the time of your application; or
- If your education has been completed entirely in schools/colleges/universities where the language of instruction is English.
Even if you are exempt from taking the TOEFL iBT, IELTS, or PTE Academic, you may still submit your scores to demonstrate your English proficiency. These are the only examinations acceptable for proof of your English language proficiency regardless of any other English Language testing you’ve completed. Your TOEFL iBT/IELTS/PTE Academic/CAE/CPE score will be used in conjunction with, not in lieu of, other required admissions criteria.
Do you have a minimum score requirement?
We do not have any minimum test score requirements, but competitive applicants will receive:
- 100 and above on the TOEFL iBT
- 7.5 and above on the IELTS Academic
- 70 and above on the PTE Academic
- 191 and above on the Cambridge English Scale
- 84 and above on the MELAB
- 4.5 and above on the iTEP
- 125 and above on the Duolingo English Test
How do I submit my results to NYU?
For the TOEFL iBT, use NYU's code 2562.
For the IELTS Academic, search for "New York University" and release results to Undergraduate Admissions as opposed to one of our school or colleges. Similarly, for the PTE Academic, C1 Advanced and C2 Proficiency, select "New York University" as opposed to one of our specific NYU schools or colleges. Searching for "NYU" will not return any results; you must search using our official name.