Great libraries are essential to great universities. They support and empower scholarship and research innovation. The NYU Division of Libraries is an 8-library, 4.6 million-volume system that continually enhances its on-site and online services and resources for students and faculty and expands its research collections in all formats, from paper to electronic and multimedia. NYU Libraries provides students and faculty with access to the world’s scholarship; its resources and services are central to the University community’s intellectual life.
The system flagship is the Elmer Holmes Bobst Library, which houses millions of volumes, 272,000 serial titles, and over 43,000 linear feet of archives and provides access to thousands of electronic resources both on-site and online. Bobst Library receives 11,000 visits per day and circulates 246,000 items annually. Within Bobst are two special collections: Fales Library, specializing in literature, food studies, and New York City avant-garde culture; and the Tamiment Library, internationally known and uniquely strong in the history of left politics, labor, and social protest movements. Bobst Library also contains the Avery Fisher Center for Music and Media; specialized studios to assist with digital projects and data collection/statistical computing; the Barbara Goldsmith Preservation and Conservation Department for the care of paper, audio, and visual material; and over 2,500 seats for study and computing.
Faculty Research in the Schools
The heart of academic and research enterprise are the schools. For more information regarding research at an individual school, follow the links below.
- Arts and Science
- College of Dentistry
- Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences - Math
- Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences - Computer Science
- Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences - Atmosphere Ocean Science
- Institute of Fine Arts
- Leonard N. Stern School of Business
- Robert F. Wagner Graduate School of Public Service
- Rory Meyers College of Nursing
- School of Continuing and Professional Studies - The Preston Robert Tisch Center
- School of Law
- School of Medicine
- Silver School of Social Work
- Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development
- Tandon School of Engineering