New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

Doctoral Level Graduate Programs

To prepare a new program proposal, complete each of the relevant documents from the below links or e-mail to request a hard-copy or a Microsoft Word attachment of the documents. Please submit two hard-copies of proposals. See the Program Approval Process page for more information.

(You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view and complete the below documents on-line. If you do not already have Adobe Acrobat Reader, click to download a free copy of it. Please note that you will not be able to save text entries with Adobe Acrobat Reader; you need to have Adobe Acrobat software installed to save the forms.)

1. Purpose, Goals, and Objectives

a. Describe the purpose, goals, and objectives of the proposed program, highlighting important or unique aspects.

b. Indicate how the program relates to the institution's mission and its existing programs.

c. If the proposed program will be supported substantially by existing resources, explain how its implementation will not strain institutional resources, either financial or academic.

2. Academic Governance

Indicate the systems established for governance and oversight of the proposed program, including administrative mechanisms and criteria for selection; workload which accommodate increased faculty time and support for research and development, dissertation guidance activities; promotion; and tenure of faculty who will be responsible for the proposed program.

3. Financial Resources

a. Provide evidence that the institution has sufficient fiscal, physical and human resources to support the changes proposed and to do so without diminishing the quality of existing programs.  If there are to be changes made to existing programs to support the proposed program, describe them and provide a rationale and plan.

b. Complete the Projected Expenditures Tables for the Proposed Program and for the Proposed Program in Other Departments Table 6 (.doc) and Table 7 (.doc) with a five-year estimate of expenditures, including costs for items such as faculty salaries, financial support for students, administrative staff, support staff, facilities, equipment, library, supplies, and any other expenditures connected with the program. Coordinate information supplied in these tables with data provided in the Projected Staff Table Table 3 (.doc) and the Projected Enrollment Table Table 5 (.doc).

b. Specify a budgetary commitment that ensures students will have the opportunity to complete the program.

c. Complete the Projected Revenue Table 8 (.doc) with a five-year estimate of revenues to support the proposed program including tuition income, governmental appropriations (Federal, State, and local), foundation support, and any other sources of income. If the proposed program will be wholly or partially funded by outside sources, explain how the costs of the program will be covered if such funds cease to be available. If the proposed program is to be offered jointly with another institution, describe any financial agreements between the institutions.

4. Facilities, Equipment, and Library

a. List the computer facilities, classrooms, research equipment, and laboratories currently available which will be used to support the program, as well as the facilities and equipment which will have to be acquired each year for the next five years.

b. Note any use of leased facilities and equipment and the provisions of any lease agreements.

c. Describe briefly the total library collection for the institution as a whole. Indicate the current library collection and the expansion of the collection in support of the proposed program.  Indicate the annual financial allocations for additions to the collection which will be used specifically to support the proposed program for a five-year period. If the proposed program will rely on external library resources, specify how such resources will be used and explain the nature of any agreements between the proposing institution and external libraries.

5. Faculty

a. Specify the staffing for the proposed program on Table 1 (.doc), Table 2 (.doc) and Table 3 (.doc), including administrative and support staff in Table 3.

b. Submit current curricula vitae for all faculty, indicate highest degrees, area of specialization, educational experience, previous experience in doctoral education, research, publication, research grant support, and special recognition or awards. The faculty who will provide leadership and direction for the proposed program must be active and recognized in their fields (as evidenced by scholarly publication, research, etc.) and be in place before a program is submitted for approval. These faculty should also demonstate experience with directing doctoral dissertations.

c. Discuss future plans and commitments for faculty to support program development and growth.

6. Curriculum

a. Describe the essential elements of the curriculum including modes of graduate instruction, including any online instruction, and research training appropriate for doctoral study, e.g. seminars, diverse and sophisticated research methodologies.

b. Demonstrate the degree of emphasis on research, independent study, experimentation, and demonstration of professional performance, in existing graduate programs and/or the proposed doctoral program.

c. Include:

  • total number of required credits
  • number of required and elective courses
  • distribution of courses by academic year
  • thesis/dissertation requirements
  • field/internship requirements
  • utilization of existing courses
  • addition of new courses, indicating which faculty are likely to teach each course
  • syllabi for any new courses.

d. Describe provisions for a full-time residency experience for students or an equivalent concentrated period of study or research.

e. Provide sample student programs of study.

7. Students

a. Describe the student body to be served.

b. Complete the Student Characteristics Table 4 (.doc).

c. Discuss differentiation of standards and requirements for program admission, selection procedures; plans for the recruitment, retention, and graduation of students including students from historically underrepresented groups; and provisions for students' academic supervision and counseling during their affiliation with the institution.

d. Complete the Projected Enrollment Table Table 5 (.doc). Project full- and part-time enrollment for the first five years of the program and discuss the assumptions upon which the enrollment projection is based. Indicate the ultimate enrollment goal for the proposed program.

e. Assess the effect of the proposed program on the institution's total enrollment and on faculty load.

f. Compare the projected enrollment with enrollments in other programs at the institution and enrollments in similar programs at similar institutions.

8. Evaluation

Describe the institution's provisions for periodic review of the quality and effectiveness of its academic programs, including evidence of student achievement, accomplishments of graduates, faculty performance, etc.

External Review

a. Submit a site visit report by at least two nationally recognized authorities in the discipline, external to New York State, and agreed to in advance by the Doctoral Program Review Office. The names and vitae of at least three potential reviewers, along with a brief description of the proposed program, should be submitted to the Office of Academic Program Review, for consultation with the State Education Department, as early as possible in the process of preparing the proposal. This will save time. The reviewers should use the Instructions for Evaluation of Doctoral Program Proposals (.doc) for Doctoral Program Proposals to evaluate the quality and viability of the proposed program in terms of governance, curriculum, faculty, students, facilities, and other resources. A single team report is preferred.

b. The report should include the name, title, instiutional affiliation, address, email address, and telephone number for each team member, and be signed by them. 

c. Reviewers must sign the Conflict of Interest Guidelines (.doc)  included in the instructions document. A signed copy of this form should be retained by the instiution. 

d. Include in the proposal materials the institution's response to the site visit report, fully addressing any concerns raised by the reviewers. If appropriate, indicate where changes have been made in the proposal in response to the site visit report.


Prepare a one-or two-page summary of the proposal which briefly sets forth:

1. the title of the proposed program, the four-digit HEGIS code in which the program should be categorized (to be obtained from the Office of Academic Program Review), and the degree, diploma, or certificate to which it leads;

2. the purpose and goals of the program and its relationship to the stated mission of the institution and to existing offerings of the institution;

3. the curriculum;

4. any unique characteristics of the program;

5. requirements for admission to the program;

6. the nature of the prospective student body (geographic origin, age, racial/ethnic characteristics, any other pertinent information);

7. projected (full- and part-time) enrollment in the program’s first and fifth year of operation;

8. Faculty, facilities including library, equipment, and other academic resources available, and planned to be acquired, to support the proposed program;

9. prospects for employment/further education for the program’s graduates; and,

10. any additional basis of need for the program.

Student Learning Outcomes Assesment Plan

Submit a Student Learning Outcomes Assesment Plan to the Office of Academic Assesment by email to Diana Karafin at the same time the proposal is submitted to the Graduate Commssion. For information on requirements for assessment plans and sample templates, please visit the Academic Assessment and Reporting site. The proposal submission to the  Graduate Commssion should also include your assessment plan. If you have questions about outcomes assessment visit this website.

Other Requirements

Please complete the Graduate Program Requirements form.

If you are proposing a program which will involve marketing and/or advertising, non-classroom experiences (clinical experiences, field work, internships, etc.), or proctoring in a state other than New York, you must also visit the Non-NY State Authorization and Distance Education tab for additional information and requirements concerning approvals necessary from other states.

Doctoral Progams
NYU Footer