The University Senate approved the creation of an Ad Hoc Advisory Task Force on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in December 2015. This task force focused on the critical work of advancing the University’s efforts to embrace its diversity and promote a culture of inclusion for all NYU students, faculty, staff, and administrators.
The task force was comprised of 32 members, including deans, faculty, students, and administrators based in NYC and in some of our global sites. Charlton McIlwain, Associate Professor of Media, Culture and Communication and Associate Dean of Faculty Development & Diversity at the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development, and Gabrielle Starr, Seryl Kushner Dean and Professor of English in the Faculty of Arts and Science, were the task force co-chairs. Vince Vance, a Steinhardt graduate student, was the student vice chair.
"I view the work of this task force as absolutely critical to our community. I want to thank you all for the work you've already started doing and I know that you will build on the ongoing efforts undertaken by people who have been committed to these issues all along. I am eager to follow your work and to review your recommendations. I commit to you that I will consider your recommendations very seriously, in consultation with the University Senate and other constituent groups. I guarantee you that there will be action."
- NYU President Andrew Hamilton
The task force chairs and members engaged with the NYU community throughout the course of its work. This web site enabled the task force to update the community on its activities and provided a medium for the University community to provide valuable information, feedback, questions and suggestions that enabled the task force to accomplish its mission.
- Final Report to the University Senate | April, 2017
- Interim Report to the University Senate | December, 2016
- Read the Full Diversity Statement | November 30, 2016
- President Hamilton and Task Force Co-Chairs' Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Update | November 30, 2016
- Task Force Update | May 17, 2016
- Task Force Response to President Hamilton | April 8, 2016
- President Hamilton's Message to the Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Task Force | March 30, 2016