Theatrical Use of Simulated Weapons Policy
Purpose of the Policy
New York University (“NYU”) is committed to maintaining a safe and secure environment for the University community and its guests. In support of this commitment, this policy sets forth rules governing the possession of simulated firearms and other simulated weapons at New York University (“NYU”) for theatrical use in activities sponsored and/or authorized by NYU, including use in NYU stage and film productions. This policy does not address the possession and use of real weapons and of simulated weapons for non-theatrical purposes, which are covered by the University’s Weapons and Simulated Weapons Policy. Real firearms and weapons may never be used during theatrical productions at NYU.
Scope of this Policy
This policy applies to all members of the University Community, as defined below. It also applies to any person on NYU property, in an NYU facility, or at an NYU-sponsored activity or event.
New York University strictly prohibits possession of simulated firearms and weapons in and around any facility owned or controlled by the University except when the bearer is in possession of written approval or permit from a dean or department head or a dean or department head’s designee.
The criteria for granting written approval or permits, including completion of required training, and the procedures for safe use of simulated firearms and weapons will be determined by the dean of the school in which the theatrical production occurs. Possession of a simulated firearm or weapon may be authorized and such possession permitted only if it is directly connected to a University- or School-related theatrical production (e.g., stage play or film production) or rehearsals for such production.
When an individual is appropriately authorized to possess a simulated firearm or weapon for theatrical use at NYU, the following terms shall apply:
1. The approved simulated firearm or weapon may only be used during the time and in the manner specified in the written approval or permit.
2. Whenever an approved simulated firearm or weapon is transported from one location to another, including within the same building, it must be placed in a secure container in such a manner that it cannot be observed.
3. The individual to whom written permission has been granted to possess a simulated firearm or weapon must maintain custody of the simulated firearm or weapon at all times and may not transfer custody of the simulated firearm or weapon to any person not specified in the written permission. The written permission must accompany the simulated firearm or weapon at all times.
4. The individual to whom permission has been granted to possess a simulated firearm or weapon may not drink alcoholic beverages or engage in any reckless behavior while in possession of a simulated firearm or weapon.
5. When not in use for a theatrical production, the simulated firearm or weapon must be securely stored in a location chosen by the School that is sponsoring the theatrical production, which location must be approved by the Vice President for Global Campus Safety or his/her designee(s). Under no circumstances may simulated firearms or weapons be stored in any University owned, leased, or controlled facilities other than an approved safety storage area.
6. If for any reason it is not possible for an individual in authorized possession of a simulated firearm or weapon to return the item to an approved safety storage area after authorized use, the simulated firearm or weapon should be brought for temporary safe storage to the Department of Public Safety.
7. There is no exception to the prohibition of simulated firearms and weapons in New York University residential facilities, at any time and for any purpose.
8. Under no circumstances may students bring their own simulated firearms or weapons to campus. Students are limited to using simulated firearms or weapons supplied by their School and/or department or rented from a licensed third-party supplier of theatrical simulated firearms and weapons.
New York University reserves the right to change, alter or modify this policy at any time at its discretion and without notice. This policy does not create a contractual agreement of any kind.
- Dates of official enactment and amendments: Aug 30, 2016
- History: This Policy supersedes any other issued policy regarding possession or use of weapons or simulated weapons for theatrical or other uses previously issued by New York University or any School, College, Unit or Division thereof.
- Cross References: Weapons and Simulated Weapons Policy