Policy on Personal Identification Numbers
New York University collects, maintains, and uses confidential personally identifiable information relating to its students, faculty, and other workforce members, and other individuals associated with the University. The ability to identify an individual and to associate information with an individual is vitally important to both the University and the person. The University has an obligation to ensure privacy and proper handling of personal identification numbers and to protect them against inappropriate access and use.
Members of the University community shall employ reasonable and appropriate administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to protect the integrity, confidentiality, and security of the personal identification numbers (SSNs, UIDs, and NetIDs) they handle, store, and/or transmit or to which they otherwise have been given or have gained access.
In adopting this policy, the University is guided by the following objectives:
1. To ensure that the necessary awareness and procedures exist so that all members of the University community comply with both the letter and the spirit of the federal and state privacy legislation;
2. To inculcate broad awareness of the confidential nature of the SSN;
3. To reduce reliance for identification purposes on the SSN in favor of the UID;
4. To establish a consistent policy towards and treatment of SSNs throughout the University;
5. To ensure that access to SSNs for the purpose of conducting University business is granted only to the extent necessary;
6. To enhance and preserve individual privacy for members of the University community through the confidential handling of personal identification numbers;
7. To use, throughout the University, a unique UID that serves as the primary identification element for persons associated with NYU and be applicable across the entire NYU enterprise; and
8. To ensure that each member of the University community takes full responsibility for any activity done under that individual’s NetID.
The following campus officials are responsible for SSN and UID oversight in their respective areas of University operations. That responsibility extends to promoting awareness of this Policy and establishing procedures for protecting these data. Activities of these officials are aligned and integrated through a coordinating task force.
1. Alumni: Senior Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations
2. Students: University Registrar
3. Prospective students and applicants: Associate Provost for Admissions and Financial Aid
4. Faculty, Visiting Scholars, and researchers: Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs
5. Employees and prospective employees: Vice President for Human Resources
6. All other affiliated individuals: Vice President for Public Safety
The Office of the Associate Provost/Chief Information Technology Officer is responsible for overseeing use of the NetID in University operations.