Activities Undertaken as NYU Representative
Prohibited Activity: Gifts to Government Officials and Political Campaign Activities
In their capacity as representatives of NYU, members of the University Community are strictly prohibited from:
- Endorsing or opposing candidates for public office (e.g., presidential, congressional, state, city);
- Contributing institutional funds to political campaigns, parties, or PACs;
- Using institutional resources (including space in an NYU building) to host or conduct a partisan political event;
- Hosting or conducting partisan political events (including political fundraising); and
- Publishing materials that support a particular candidacy or party.
There are limited exceptions to these rules for certain activities conducted as part of NYU’s educational mission (e.g., student editorials on political matters appearing in student newspapers, or events hosted by student groups). Any questions concerning the scope of the prohibited activity in this policy should be referred to OGA. Contact individuals are provided in the section of this policy entitled “Procedures for Implementation.”
Where a candidate for public office will be coming to NYU for a non-partisan purpose, the OGA must be contacted, as it will send the candidate a letter prior to the candidate’s appearance confirming the purpose of the visit and reminding the candidate that, because NYU is a 501(c)(3) educational organization, he or she cannot engage in any political activities while on the NYU campus.
Activity Requiring Advance Approval: Contacts with Government Officials
Members of the University Community must contact the OGA prior to any interactions with Government Officials if they:
- Would like to invite a Government Official or a candidate, or are approached by a Government Official or candidate about visiting campus;
- Would like to make a gift to a Government Official, including the purchase of a meal;
- Are contacted by a Government Official requesting the use of space on campus;
- Are considering contacting a Government Official with respect to legislation or executive actions or decisions government policies, programs or regulations; or with respect to government funding, including contracts and grants (note faculty exceptions below).
The OGA will review the proposed interaction, which may be reportable on city, state, or federal levels, and will provide guidance on the interaction.
Permitted Activity: Policy Expertise/Testimony and Contacts With Grant-Making Agencies
Faculty are encouraged to:
- Accept invitations from the government to provide policy expertise and testimony in their field of expertise to Government Officials and staff; and
- Contact program and grant/program officers to discuss prospective or ongoing governmental funding projects that have been, or will be, awarded through a competitive review process. (Note that faculty should review the applicable grant request for proposal for any restrictions it may contain on who can be contacted.)
Faculty and researchers who are members of the University Community do not need to contact the OGA prior to engaging in such interactions.